Screw Toast 8

Reaction score
$100???? $80 was a bit of a stretch for me, I was almost willing to go for it, but I realized that's after a $20 rebate for competitor upgrade (from their own products, go figure).

Sorry, there's got to be another way to crunch 9GB DVD content pulled via MacTheRipper down to 4.5GB. There's a Windows app called DVDShrink that does a great job, and it's totally free. Surely there must be something that will do this, then I can just use Disco to burn.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.06 iMac i3|12GB|500GB
$100???? $80 was a bit of a stretch for me, I was almost willing to go for it, but I realized that's after a $20 rebate for competitor upgrade (from their own products, go figure).

Sorry, there's got to be another way to crunch 9GB DVD content pulled via MacTheRipper down to 4.5GB. There's a Windows app called DVDShrink that does a great job, and it's totally free. Surely there must be something that will do this, then I can just use Disco to burn.

DVD2One, works beautifully, and its cheap! Its a shrinker & burner.

Although trust me, Toast really is great.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.06 iMac i3|12GB|500GB
You really may want to consider DVD2One to burn. If money isnt an option I would get them both, you can never know when something wont work right! =)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.06 iMac i3|12GB|500GB
For me it encodes AVIs really slow, like dead slow. I use DVD2one much more than toast.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Have you loking to see if anyone is selling Toast 7? You could probably get that fairly cheap. Toast 8 doesnt have a whole new, at least not that I know of.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.06 iMac i3|12GB|500GB
Have you loking to see if anyone is selling Toast 7? You could probably get that fairly cheap. Toast 8 doesnt have a whole new, at least not that I know of.

I know they make a big deal that it has blu-ray support.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
But how many people actually have a blu-ray burner? I think that "feature" is a little overrated a bit too soon.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.06 iMac i3|12GB|500GB
But how many people actually have a blu-ray burner? I think that "feature" is a little overrated a bit too soon.

I agree entirely. I dont even want to know how much a blank blu-ray disc is.

OP
C
Reaction score
So, ok.. yeah. I was wrong. I got my $45 copy of Toast 8 in the mail today (from eBay). I believe it's an illegit copy. Bummer :( I figured it was someone selling an OEM version of it, hence the disc only in an envelope w/ the serial #. But.. the printing quality on the CD looks weird. Like a bad printout of a bad scan. The "Mac" and "Universal" logos are kinda fuzzy, and on the right side, the copyright text is very hard to read. And it's not a label stuck on there either, I dont' know how they made this disc. If it weren't for the crappy print quality, and the burn line on the bottom of the disc (you can see where the data ends), I would think this is legit.

On a positive note, I called Roxio to report this. They said talk to eBay, BUT Roxio sold me Toast 8 at the upgrade price. Very cool. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2,33GHz C2D 2GB RAM 256MB video + LCD Samsung 20" 206BW + Maxtor OneTouch III 500GB
On a positive note, I called Roxio to report this. They said talk to eBay, BUT Roxio sold me Toast 8 at the upgrade price. Very cool. :)

You are getting a reputation point from me for your attitude!

You are a good man! Take care.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2,33GHz C2D 2GB RAM 256MB video + LCD Samsung 20" 206BW + Maxtor OneTouch III 500GB

You are getting a reputation point from me for your attitude!

You are a good man! Take care.:D

OP
C
Reaction score
Guys, now I'm having second thoughts. I mean, I don't want to outright blame this person YET. What I need to do is, compare the copy of Toast Roxio sent me with the copy I got from eBay. But who knows when my copy will arrive.

If someone could do me a favor and (with a good camera), take a clear, close-up shot of the "Mac" and "Universal" logos on their Toast 8 disc.. that will tell me what I need to know. On my disc, those logos are a little fuzzy, and the copyright text is fuzzy as well.

I just don't like to accuse people without being 100% positive. And I can't be totally positive until I can compare discs..and I'm too anxious to wait for my own copy to arrive. :) Besides, there's an eBay & PayPal dispute open on this and I need to act quickly.

Any help would be appreciated. PM me.

On a positive note.. Toast rocks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.