Screen Shots to Clipboard

Reaction score
I've recently upgraded to Yosemite from Mavericks on my new Mac Mini. I routinely use Screen Shots to "Copy picture of selected area to the clipboard" to paste into Adobe Illustrator to use as a template. Since upgrading, I get the message "QuickTime and a decompressor are needed to see this picture." I am able to save the screen shot to the desktop and drag it into Illustrator, but it is another step that I'd rather not have to do. I have QuickTime installed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
What keyboard shortcut are you using?

OP
P
Reaction score
I'm using <command> <Shift> <4> to get the cross-hairs, then holding down <control> as I drag over the selection area.

I must say, though, I've done a little experimenting and find that I can paste the selection into MS Word just fine, but not Illustrator. Which leads me to believe it's the application's problem. I may do a re-install if don't get another answer soon.

Thanks for the inquiry.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Seeing that it works with your MS Word, what version of Illustrator are you using and is it recently updated??

OP
P
Reaction score
I'm using Illustrator CS4. I am unable to upgrade because I need to be compatible with my office and co-workers (I work at home). It's interesting in that I was having no trouble when I was running Snow Leopard and Mavericks.

I've also tried using the "snapshot" tool in Adobe Acrobat with the same result. So, it certainly looks as though it's AI's problem.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm using Illustrator CS4. I am unable to upgrade because I need to be compatible with my office and co-workers (I work at home). It's interesting in that I was having no trouble when I was running Snow Leopard and Mavericks.

Then you need to make a choice... re-install Mavericks from your Time Machine backup or live with the extra step of dragging the screen shot from the desktop to Illustrator. It's always a good idea to check the compatibility of your apps before upgrading OS X. I've lost several of my favorite apps over the years doing upgrades.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
According to roaringapps if it's accurate Adobe CS4 is actually compatible with Yosimete, which is a bit of a surprise to me, so maybe it's a tossup between it and Yosemite as to where the old "feature" went.
http://roaringapps.com/apps?index=a

Maybe out the door like so many other little features that Yosemite dropped, or just maybe, they changed or hid the feature somewhere. :D ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.