screen saver

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2015 rMBP
I have my screen saver set to come on to 'never'. When I go the the status bar and press the picture of the guys head and click "login window..." sooner or later it still goes to a screen saver.

any thoughts

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
status bar? - I assume you mean the menu bar across the top of the screen?

guys head? - have never had a guys head on my menu bar

you mean while you are logged out, the screen saver comes on?
your user preference settings would not be in effect while you are logged out
and don't believe I have ever logged out of my MBP without closing the lid so I'm not sure what the default would be

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
I spent about 2mins going through my system trying to find a guys head..... no luck :(

OP
Gary86
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2015 rMBP
At the top you can see the guys head and the login window option

and yes the menu bar sorry, use to the iphone lingo

and yes while I'm logged out (on the login screen where u enter ur PW)

Screen shot 2010-02-23 at 4.48.19 PM.png

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Ah, part of "Fast User Switching" - have never used it so can't give you any feed back.

Not a whole lot of point in it with only one user on the computer I wouldn't think though.

Can't say for any certainty since I don't use it, but would think that while you're sitting at the log in screen, even if you left your user logged in, it's user settings would not be in effect. If they were, what happens when 2 or 3 users are logged in? Which user settings would that screen use?

C

chas_m

You can only set the screen saver preferences for your own account. The login window is controlled by the system, and uses default settings for its account.

Yes, the system has its own account. No, you shouldn't mess with it. :)

OP
Gary86
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2015 rMBP
Ah, part of "Fast User Switching" - have never used it so can't give you any feed back.

Not a whole lot of point in it with only one user on the computer I wouldn't think though.

Can't say for any certainty since I don't use it, but would think that while you're sitting at the log in screen, even if you left your user logged in, it's user settings would not be in effect. If they were, what happens when 2 or 3 users are logged in? Which user settings would that screen use?

I use it because as far as I know there is no way to log out of the comp without putting it to sleep, or shutting down. I like to leave stuff open while i run to the store or do whatever and using the login window feature allows me to do this

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Make one of the hot corners "put display to sleep", and go to security>general>require password in system preferences.
It'll need the password to get back out from that.
Solved:)

OP
Gary86
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2015 rMBP
cool i'll try it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
alright... post back with the good news :)

OP
Gary86
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2015 rMBP
took me a minute to figure out the hot corners (new to mac) but once figured out it works awesome. So many new tricks on this machine

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.