screen rotation issues

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2012 MBP - 13" i5 3210M, 16GB RAM, 240GB SSD, 500GB storage (in place of optical).
Ooh boy..here we go with another liquid-spilled laptop issue!:(

- Nick

nah, i just back it up every month..... oh. that would suck nuts if that was the case...
again thats not making much sense. if it was the thunderbolt port then it wouldnt be able to display on the second screen at all. and if it was a GPU issue my main screen wouldnt work, its an i5 (so it has the GPU on die). the only other IC in that line is the thunderbolt controller on the PCB (motherboard), and that would be noticed as well. it wouldnt be displaying on the second screen....

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
nah, i just back it up every month..... oh. that would suck nuts if that was the case...

Backing up is great just in case something fails. But backing up isn't going to cure any hardware issues that may have resulted from a liquid spill.

Yes you listed a number of hardware items that could be effected...but the problem with liquid spills is...they are unpredictable as to what is damaged...and to what degree.

As I mentioned in a previous post...to the best of my knowledge...I don't think that you should be able to rotate a MacBook Pro's built-in display. The fact that you can...spells a very unusual issue to me. And when you mentioned that this MBP has experienced a liquid spill...well...

unusual behavior + liquid spill = liquid spill damaged something

And like I also asked...was a 3rd party app installed for display rotation?...since many times...3rd party developers develop apps that can do things that the Mac OS cannot (or wasn't designed to do).

The fact that this MBP's builtin display can be rotated leads me to believe one of the following:

- something has changed with OS 10.9 (but I don't think so based on "Raz0rEdge's" earlier post)
- the liquid spill damaged something
- a 3rd party screen rotation app was installed

* Nick

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2012 MBP - 13" i5 3210M, 16GB RAM, 240GB SSD, 500GB storage (in place of optical).
I got it to work. For some unexplained reason it went back to mirrored mode. I set it back to extended and it works now. It's kinda stupid to do it like that. ...

1399400899958.jpg

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I got it to work. For some unexplained reason it went back to mirrored mode. I set it back to extended and it works now. It's kinda stupid to do it like that. ...

Awesome...congrats.:) It's really not "stupid"...it's just a case of understanding how things work. Once we know how things work...it all makes sense.:)

I believe that whenever an external monitor is connected/disconnected...the computer/OS defaults back to mirror mode.

Congrats again,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 Mac Pro 8 core 2.66 GHz, 960 GB SSD, 2.5TB H/W RAID 6 array, Apple 30" Cinema HD display + 24"
OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well look above pigoo3's post and you see that it does rotate. And I got it to work

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 Mac Pro 8 core 2.66 GHz, 960 GB SSD, 2.5TB H/W RAID 6 array, Apple 30" Cinema HD display + 24"
to: disturbed13 Cool. So how is the display mounted? I looked up that display and saw no pivot function.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think what is being discussed are two types of rotation:

- The actual physical rotation (or pivoting) of the physical hardware from landscape to portrait mode (some monitors have this built-in feature)...many do not (unless a VESA mount is used)...or some creative mounting is done.
- The "electronic rotation" of the desktop on the display (what is seen on the display)...and is done via the Mac OS (software rotation).

Here's a photo of computer monitor with built-in physical pivot/rotation abilities (landscape to portrait):

rotation.jpg

* Nick

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
While a lot of, cheaper, monitors are getting rid of the tilt/height adjust/pivoting stands, you can spend a little more money to get that if you intend to use a monitor in portrait mode..

My ViewSonic 21.5" has all 3 and works great in portrait. It also has a DisplayPort connection..

Reaction score
'pigoo3' is right ~ it has never been possible to rotate the primary Mac display, unlike many WinBoxes.

(Have Mac developers never been injured and forced to lie on their side? Mac rotation should just fit into the Universal Access toolkit.) Be that as it may . . .

When you get it working - I suggest you select the rotation mode *before* you swivel the screen to the mode selected! It can be tricky mouse-guiding to the remote screen's 'Displays' System Prefs page rotation dropdown *after rotation.

I've used this rotation tool for a long time now, but can't recall which OS it came in on. Way back in prehistory days 'you' (the landed gentry) could purchase pre-historic screens that physically rotated, and internally switched X & Y axis as you rolled them on their Z axis.

I wonder if any 'modern' (currently being flogged) screens include the classic mercury switch (or solid-state equivalent) to determine axis orientation?

Just a thought. This does seem a bit baffling.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.