Screen Replacement

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
You didn't tell us the exact models involved. But if I was a betting person…I would bet against the displays being interchangeable.

- Nick

OP
W
Reaction score
Sorry, they are Apple iMac "Core 2 Duo" 2.26 20-Inch (Mid-2009) and Apple iMac "Core 2 Duo" 2.4 20-Inch (Al).

Im guessing they won't be either but thought i'd ask.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well…if I was betting…I may have lost the bet!;) According to the compatibility list (below)…it kind of does look like this 20" display may be compatible between the two models you mentioned!:)

Intel iMac 20" Complete Display

After going to the link..click on "See Compatibility List"

- Nick

OP
W
Reaction score
Well, Ill be dipped in ****. It does look that way.

Hey thanks so much for finding that, you rule! I was going to try it just for the heck of it but was hoping for a definitive answer one way or the other.

OP
W
Reaction score
Swapped out the displays and all is a go. Only thing that didn't fit was the LCD Temp cable. 2007 was a 4 pin connector and the 2009 was 3 pin. May end up being an issue? If leaving that unplugged will the system think its constantly too hot and make the fans run all the time? Or the opposite? Anyway thanks again for the help!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Swapped out the displays and all is a go.

GREAT to hear…and thanks for the update. It's great to hear & learn about this sort of thing!:) In the "Mac World"…it's not very often that the parts from one Mac are swappable into another Mac. Especially when there's a 2 year difference between the computers.

Only thing that didn't fit was the LCD Temp cable. 2007 was a 4 pin connector and the 2009 was 3 pin. May end up being an issue? If leaving that unplugged will the system think its constantly too hot and make the fans run all the time? Or the opposite? Anyway thanks again for the help!

Not 100% sure what to say about the temp sensor cable. But on older Mac's…some of these temp sensors are just a surface mount sort of thing (a surface mounted sensor that is held on with a piece of tape).

So if you can trace the original 4 pin sensor from the 2007 iMac's original display…and if it is just held on with tape. Then just remove it…and use it on the 2009 iMac display you installed.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.