Screen randomly going black

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook unibody
Alright so today while using my macooo which is a late 09 model the screen went black so I restarded it and it worked for a few mins and then went black again. It seems to do it when I'm using firefox to browse the web but if I close the screen and re open it back up it will come out of sleep mode for a second then go straight to the black screen. Not sure if I should tak it into apple or not

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 4,1 --> 5,1 6 Core X5680
Yeah I think that you should probably have them look at it.

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook unibody
Just wanted to update. I was using Safari just fine for awhile and as soon as I load firefox I get the black screen. Wen it first happened I was in the procces ofdownloading YouTube bids of YouTube and I had about 8 vids open them it blacked

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 4,1 --> 5,1 6 Core X5680
That sounds like it could be a firefox thing so having Apple check it out might be unnecessary.

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook unibody
Well that's why I was doing the exact things with safari perfectly fine that were crashing firefox. I'm unsure of how to fully uninstall firefox tho so that it would delete everything and not just the package contents

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Reaction score
hey i had the same problem after i updated to the newest version firefox on my sony vaio.
the screen would go black, after using it a few minutes in firefox
i would put the computer in hibernate or sleep [always get confused on which is mac/pc] and then popped it back on and the screen would be fine for a little while, then go black

happened for about 2 hours when i finally realized it might be the firefox. [was freaking cause i thought it might have been a logic board or something important problem]

so i unistalled it and havent had a problem with my screen shutting off since [except im stuck using IE]

my suggestion would be to uninstall firefox completely and see if it continue's to happen :)
if not, its a firefox issue, if it does continue i would contact apple asap!

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook unibody
It was a firefox plugin in problem and so I stopped trying to use the plugin and its been fine

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.