Screen freezes, when restart or shut down

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I figured out the problem!!!

I had recently upgraded my ram in the iMac, adding two extra sticks of crucial 16 GB RAM. Bringing it to 40 GB

I never thought it could have been a hardware issue!
Also, because on the crucial website, this ram indicates compatible with my iMac!

I would really like to have more than the stock 8 GB due to the work flow that I have going through my machine.

What should I do try with another Make and model of ram?

Never ever mix different RAM modules. Even when specced the same, there can be subtle differences that makes the ones made by one manufacturer not play well with those from another. I've even seen it recommended in the past to buy the replacements entirely as one group to make sure they are all from the same lot.

Now, I see you are back to using just the stock RAM, but keep the above in mind. If you haven't yet, try an SMC reset.

krs

Reaction score
Never ever mix different RAM modules.
Where did you get that idea?
I have been adding RAM from different manufacturers and different capacities for years - never a problem.
Even when specced the same, there can be subtle differences that makes the ones made by one manufacturer not play well with those from another.
That used to be somewhat true years ago.
CanadaRAM had some articles explaining that. The RAM specs were actually different but the specs that were different were not usually listed by the manufacturer

I've even seen it recommended in the past to buy the replacements entirely as one group to make sure they are all from the same lot.

Recommended by Apple?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Safe mode blocks all of the stuff that normally loads at boot and login from doing so. Having a successful boot in Safe Mode means that the problem isn't systemic, it's something you have installed. Creating a new account, as Bob suggested, will tell if it is something in YOUR logon list, or if it is loading at boot time.

I didn't see anybody ask this question, so here goes: Do you have any antivirus software installed? I know you said you had CMM, but do you have anything else? Any other "utilities" other than CMM?

OP
C

Chesko1904

Reaction score
I’ve tried creating a guest account and from there I have no problems with restart or shut down.

even putting in all four sticks of ram, still no problems with the shut down so now I’ve just got to understand what is going on with my main account.

there has to be some software update is gumming up the Works!!!

What do you guys think?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Did anyone suggest EtreCheck yet?

EtreCheck

Just run it a d allow it to run through its system checks. Plus, you don't need to pay for the Pro version.

OP
C

Chesko1904

Reaction score
Safe mode blocks all of the stuff that normally loads at boot and login from doing so. Having a successful boot in Safe Mode means that the problem isn't systemic, it's something you have installed. Creating a new account, as Bob suggested, will tell if it is something in YOUR logon list, or if it is loading at boot time.

I didn't see anybody ask this question, so here goes: Do you have any antivirus software installed? I know you said you had CMM, but do you have anything else? Any other "utilities" other than CMM?
I had an old Malware app and got rid of that as well. I also got rid of a carbon copy cloner app that I downloaded a few weeks ago.

in the meantime, I created a guest account and put back in all four sticks of ram, and have absolutely no issues, restarting or shutting down from the guest account.

I guess now it’s just a question of trying to get rid of as much software as I can until I find the problem.

What are you say?

OP
C

Chesko1904

Reaction score
Did anyone suggest EtreCheck yet?

EtreCheck

Just run it a d allow it to run through its system checks. Plus, you don't need to pay for the Pro version.
I’m not familiar with this software, but at this point, I’m willing to try anything. as I already posted in the forum, I’ve created a guest account and logged in from there and have absolutely no issues.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Are you using the "Guest" account, or a new user account you created named Guest?

You should test with a new user account,

OP
C

Chesko1904

Reaction score
Create a new user account for testing. See if the issue occurs on that account as well. You can make it a Standard account.
I’ve just created a standard guest account and have no issues, restarting or shutting down from there 👍

now just have to figure out what software is giving me problems on my admin account.

Right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I had an old Malware app and got rid of that as well.
What was the app? There are a lot of really bad actors in the malware arena. And all of them spread crap throughout the system. Just deleting the app doesn't clean it up and doesn't remove the various bits and pieces that get started at boot and that have to be close at shutdown.

Run Etrecheck, see what's loading at boot, if any of it is from that malware app, you'll need to do some cleanup.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I’ve just created a standard guest account and have no issues, restarting or shutting down from there 👍
A Guest account has limited access to the system. Just like a Standard user account is limited compared to an Admin user account.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Where did you get that idea?
I have been adding RAM from different manufacturers and different capacities for years - never a problem.

That used to be somewhat true years ago.
CanadaRAM had some articles explaining that. The RAM specs were actually different but the specs that were different were not usually listed by the manufacturer

Recommended by Apple?

Where did I get that idea? It was standing advice ages ago when I was a PC enthusiast. I was active in Usenet and we sometimes found mixing/matching RAM was the root of someone's issue, even when specced the same. Manufacturing quality and standards "probably" are much better today and this "probably" is much less of a problem. I could point you to literally dozens of tech websites that explain why you shouldn't do it, but hey... you can google as well as I can. I'm glad for you that you didn't have, or failed to perceive, you had a problem.

EDIT: BTW, you asked if Apple recommended this? Yes. Yes they do.

For optimal memory performance, DIMMs should be the same capacity, speed, and vendor.

Take note of the "vendor" bit.

Last edited:
OP
C

Chesko1904

Reaction score
What was the app? There are a lot of really bad actors in the malware arena. And all of them spread crap throughout the system. Just deleting the app doesn't clean it up and doesn't remove the various bits and pieces that get started at boot and that have to be close at shutdown.

Run Etrecheck, see what's loading at boot, if any of it is from that malware app, you'll need to do some cleanup.
It was Malwarebytes but I’ve had it for over a year so I don’t think that’s the culprit.

anyway, I’m going to look into this etrcheck and see what I could find out.

i’ve never tried restoring from a time machine back up. Do you think that could do the trick?

OP
C

Chesko1904

Reaction score
I’ve got news!

this morning I ran etrecheck and found some junk left over by an old carbon copy cloner app I had downloaded!

I was able to find it and get rid of it and when I restarted my computer, everything shut down as normal.

On the start up though, the Apple and boot up bar kept coming in and out like when you update your operating system. Then a message saying 13 minutes remaining appeared… The longest 13 minutes of my life 😰

now everything is back on and functioning as it should. I even tried shutting down and seems fine. I’m hoping this did the trick.!

I guess I’ll just have to see how it goes. In the meantime I want to thank everyone for your support and say that I couldn’t have done it without you!!! I appreciate the help 🙂

PS I’ve got all four sticks of ram in as well!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
On the start up though, the Apple and boot up bar kept coming in and out like when you update your operating system. Then a message saying 13 minutes remaining appeared… The longest 13 minutes of my life 😰
Could be a stalled update that finally finished. The problems with debris left from the app may have blocked the restart cycle that some updates require.

If you don't like automatic software updates from Apple, you can turn them off in System Preferences/Settings under the Software Update options.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.