Scheduling a backup

Reaction score
I have OSX 10.10 and a Seagate Backup Plus for Mac 1T. Having problems figuring out how to set a schedule for backup. Do I do it through Time Machine or through the Seagate back-up drive, and if so, how?
Is it done through the Seagate Dashboard (I've lookied at the Dashboard manual and can find nothing on scheduling). Your help would be appreciated as I've researched out of places to look for the procedure. Thanks all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I'd strongly suggest you just use CCC (Carbon Copy Cloner) or maybe SD (SuperDuper!), both of which can provide a scheduled backup(s) and can provide a bootable clone backup.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You already have Time Machine included with Yosemite. Do not use the Seagate backup software. Actually, I recommend you remove it as it will only cause problems. Just attach your external hard drive and setup Time Machine to run. It's very easy to do. There is other backup software which we recommend but it's not free whereas you already have Time Machine. As mentioned in the previous reply, you can use Carbon Copy Cloner.

OP
P
Reaction score
Time Machine function

Thanks pm-r and chascag.
Chascag,
I went into Time Machine Preferences, it is "On" and for the most part my laptop is always plugged into the Seagate ( the "backup on battery power is also checked).
I read the Time Machine Overview in help. Am I correct in assuming that Time Machine is automatically backing up my data, at least once a day, to my Seagate as long as the Seagate is hooked up to my laptop?
Therefore making scheduling unnecessary?
Thanks again

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Yes, Time Machine when enabled and the backup drive is connected and working usually runs an incremental backup about every hour. You'll see it's working when its icon in the menubar goes aroud like a clocks hand.

If you want to keep track or see what it has been doing you can use Console and check its log as outlined here:
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/other-hardware-peripherals/306581-time-machine-log-files.html

Or you can get some free or commercial utilities that will do and show the same info.

Also, just opening the Time Machine pref pane will or should show when it last did its thing and when it will run next.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.