Scanner Issues in Yosemite

Reaction score
I'm far from an expert re scanners & I reckon you know more about them than I do. However, I have been very satisfied with my Epson Stylus Pro 3800 which I use for scanning photographs and negatives. I too just changed from Snow Leopard to Yosemite (I'm not quite ready to call it an upgrade) and I had no problem in downloading a new driver.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2012 MackBook Pro, 2.53 GHz i7, 16GB Ram, 512GB SSD MacOS 10.14.6
FWIW, Yosemite and Mavericks for that matter just recognized my Epson 3200 without any special driver. Opening up the Printers/Scanners object in System Preferences shows the scanner. Clicking on the scanner item brings up a basic scanning app. I'm sure the "real" driver would have lots more capability, but this one does pretty well.

Reaction score
In addition, I wanted to post that, just because there is a driver listed for let's say 10.8 or 10.9, you might always be able to get away with still installing for a 10.10 and even 10.11 etc. Just all depends on how radical the changes are to main "printer/scanner architecture" of that OS release. Which honestly doesn't change too much for printing.

Laters...

Reaction score
Sorry I have no advice for you as I'm a brand new iMac user, and haven't even upgraded to Yosemite yet because I'm still learning this version...but I have learned one thing, I sure won't invest in anythig from Microtek...they don't sound too impressive...Good luck with your scanner and I hope all works out for the best.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA i7, 8GB RAM, 512 GB SSD, High Sierra; iPad 3rd Gen, 32 GB, iOS 9; iPhone 5E, 64 GB, iOS 11
Is This Something New?

Thanks Harry. The problem with the generic cartridges is that they don't contain the "chip" that tells the Epson "brain" that this is a genuine cartridge. The printer LCD screen will complain about the cartridge and refuse to load it. I generally have to do a one or two recycle of the printer before the LCD screen finally asks if I want to use it anyway. It's just a manufacturer's ploy to get you to buy their expensive cartridges. HP is even worse about that with their color printers. LaserJets no problem though.

I don't have that problem with two HPs and an Epson. My HPs are new but the Epson is about two years old. Is this something new with the Epson printers? I've gotten third party ink and it just loads up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA i7, 8GB RAM, 512 GB SSD, High Sierra; iPad 3rd Gen, 32 GB, iOS 9; iPhone 5E, 64 GB, iOS 11
For scanning, I just (about two months ago) got a new HP Envy 4500. Previously I had an HP DeskJet F4280. Both are all-in-ones, but on the upgrade to Mavericks, I lost the ability to scan (it errors) on the old HP. I have a MacBook Pro that was still on ML and the HP Scan software was still working. The F4280 stopped printing properly, no matter what I did (even new HP branded ink) multiple cleanings all parts that the app would do, but I kept getting blue instead of black for the black print. Since the scanning and now the printing went bad, I got the Envy 4500 and since it is duplex and wireless, and I can once again scan, I discarded the F4280. I'm not willing to try my F4280 with the new driver software, and that seemed to be the cause of scan errors.

I'm much happier now that since 4 of us have iPads and iPhones, we can print/scan to/from the new printer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Coming in late to this discussion here... but I "may" have found a solution to get that Microtec scanner working under Yosemite. According to this source:

So I updated my computers to OS X Maverick. In this version OS X removes the support for TWAIN scanner drivers. Unfortunately, this meant that my scanner, a Canon Pixma MP800 multifunctional, which comes with a TWAIN driver, would not be usable for me on my updated systems.
After messing around a lot, I figured that TWAIN support in the previous OS X versions was done through an “application” called TWAINBridge. Lucky as we are, we can use the TWAINBridge from Mountain Lion in Mavericks, and continue to use our old TWAIN scanner drivers. TWAINBridge.app is located in /System/Library/Image Capture/Devices/.

Someone who replied to that discussion was able to get their Canon scanner working on Yosemite with this tip. Give that page a thorough read and try the app he provides to re-enable this functionality.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I don't have that problem with two HPs and an Epson. My HPs are new but the Epson is about two years old. Is this something new with the Epson printers? I've gotten third party ink and it just loads up.

My Epson printer is almost 4 years old and it definitely complains about third party ink cartridges. However, as stated above, it just takes two or three resets and it finally works. HP, I believe will now accept third party ink cartridges but at one time they would not. However, my HP LaserJet which is an older model has no problem with refilled toner cartridges. BTW, the refilled cartridges are sometimes one third the cost of a genuine HP cartridge depending on where you purchase them from.

Reaction score
You may be loathe to buy it but I highly recommend Vuescan. It is well worth the purchase price, even for the "Pro" version.
There is considerably more control and better results than any manufacturers scan software.
HP finally came out with 64 bit drivers for my scanner (G3110) this year so that helps some.

Anyone know if they make generic carts for the Photosmart D7160?
Originals have gone up a bit.

Reaction score
Microtek scanner issues

Hello,

I am new to Mac and new to this forum. I can't get my Microtek to work with Yosemite, (I have never had older OS as this is my first Mac). I still have to hang onto my old PC just to use my scanner. I have been doing the back and forth with microtek for the last month or so. They said that their (then current) version V1.12 worked with Yosemite and just last week released V1.13 which is (really) supposed to work with Yosemite but I still can't get it to. According to them I am the only person on the planet that has a problem. Are they just lying?

Reaction score
Hopefully someone with greater knowledge and expertise than I have will respond to your problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am new to Mac and new to this forum. I can't get my Microtek to work with Yosemite, (I have never had older OS as this is my first Mac). I still have to hang onto my old PC just to use my scanner. I have been doing the back and forth with microtek for the last month or so. They said that their (then current) version V1.12 worked with Yosemite and just last week released V1.13 which is (really) supposed to work with Yosemite but I still can't get it to. According to them I am the only person on the planet that has a problem. Are they just lying?

I doubt they are lying, but there are no mind readers here to confirm that. We can research your problem further if you tell us which exact model scanner you have. Microtek made lots of them.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
@dgallo1291 It would also help to know what exactly goes wrong when you try to scan something. Is the scanner not recognized at all? Does it seem like it is going to scan but nothing happens?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@dgallo1291 It would also help to know what exactly goes wrong when you try to scan something. Is the scanner not recognized at all? Does it seem like it is going to scan but nothing happens?

This reminds me of something that happened to a buddy of mine. They had recently moved and after setting up his office, the scanner would "try" to work, but would move verrrrrry slowly. It acted like a toy would with low batteries. Turns out he plugged the wrong power cord into it. The amps supplied by the wrong one was too low.

Sooooo... back to the OP.... you are moving the scanner from one computer to the other. Are you using the same power cord and USB cable?

Reaction score
I have the ScanMaker i800 plus.

My Mac just doesn't seem to recognize the scanner. I have been on the phone with multiple Apple senior tech reps, emailed back and forth with MicroTek, surfed the web endlessly and still can't seem to nail it down.

When I plug in my scanner to my PC, the PC beeps and scanner comes alive, (it makes noise, lights up, and is ready to rock). When I plug it into my Mac...nothing. Now if I don't plug it into my Mac and click the Scanpotter software I get a message that says "scanner not found." When I plug it in the software launches, (so I know it sees it somehow). When I click preview the screen goes gray, says "processing" for a few seconds and then reverts back to black. No preview. When I hit scan it sends a black box to my desktop destination all while the scanner is dead, (no lights, noise, or movement).

When I go to my system information / USB I see "Microtek" but is says "unrecognized." Also, under system preferences / manners & printers I see my printer and not my scanner and trying to add it doesn't work.

Reaction score
I am moving the scanner from my PC to my Mac with the same power cord and USB cable. The scanner doesn't ry to work at all. It is dead.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Turns out he plugged the wrong power cord into it. The amps supplied by the wrong one was too low.

I've done that as well. I have several pieces of hardware kicking around that use sort of generic power supplies where the name on the power brick has no connection to the device. I finally started marking them though I still have a few that are unmarked.

Reaction score
Look in /Library/Image Capture/Devices (That's the main Library, not the one in your user folder)
Tell us exactly what's in there.
Which app are you using to scan with? Have you tried others?

OP
D
Reaction score
Yes dgallo1291, they are lying and shirking their responsibilities in keeping their drivers updated. BTW where did you find a V1.13? I don't see it on the Microtek site. Anyone with an older Microtek scanner, even if it's an expensive one has had to find another alternative to ScanWizard. The most frequently suggested is VueScan, and it works because I have downloaded the trial version, but it just irks me to have to pay $89.99 for a program to run my scanner just because Microtek is lazy and just wants you to buy a new scanner. If I do buy a new scanner it won't be one of theirs! I have been struggling over a month trying to get my ScanMaker 6800 with Digital Ice working, and so far no dice.

Reaction score
How I got V1.13...when I launch ScanPotter I go to the upper left hand corner of my Mac and click "ScanPotter" then click "check for updates." From there it gave me the option to upgrade to V1.13 which specifically said it was for Yosemite.

I have to believe that someone somewhere who had the same problem as myself found a way through Microtek to fix it. One would think that I was not the first person to contact Microtek with this problem, (and that they have heard it all before), thus they would have an answer. Am I to believe that no one with a Microtek scanner can use a Mac and that no one has ever contacted Microtek with a similar problem. Under V1.12 they told me that they tested it on Yosemite and that it worked. Their initial advise was that I keep my PC!

Devices 0 Shared 1 (my printer)

I have been trying to get MicroTek ScanPotter V1.13 to work. I tried VueScan but it doesn't see the scanner at all. i just tried SilverFast 8 and did get some results: the scanner came alive, started moving with all the orange lights giving way to the one green, (just like it does on my PC). Even under USB it doesn't say "not recognized" under Microtek anymore rather it has a number. I haven't been able to scan yet because the serial number they gave me is not working, (of course). I type it in and am supposed to click "unlock" but the "unlock" box doesn't highlight and nothing happens. I was unable to get phone support and am waiting on an email response. I am cautiously optimistic and will be happy to pay jay to have this settled.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.