scanner can't find Mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 16GB/1TB, two 4K monitors/Mojave, Mac Book/Catalina, 2nd Mini in TV room for games/surfing
My DCP-L2540DW Brother laser printer/scanner has been a faithful peripheral through several OS's, up until the last one. Since installing Sonoma it still prints fine, but the scan function has been lost. At the point where the user sets up the scan and presses Start, the machine's user screen says "connecting to PC" but then it just times out.

I downloaded and installed Brother's latest driver package. The .dmg package reports successful installation, and it prints OK, but still won't scan.

Any ideas what I might try next?

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Try this:

Open Finder > Applications > Scroll down till you see the Brother Application. There could be several apps listed here such as Easy Start; Easy Scan. (it may not have "Easy" before it but, hopefully Scan should appear in the list). Click on Scan and follow the instructions from there.

Obvously, I can't guarantee that your setup is the same as all the other scanners, but I'm sure there will be a Brother application showing and a Scan option should be there.

Ian

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 16GB/1TB, two 4K monitors/Mojave, Mac Book/Catalina, 2nd Mini in TV room for games/surfing
Under >Applications>Brother all I find is an alias dated 2015 that points to /Library/Printers/Brother that has an app called ControlCenter that is dated 2019 and which will not open, says it needs to be updated.

Brother states that the driver download is specifically for Mac OS 14. Do you think the new driver is going somewhere else? I did a Spotlight search and couldn't find any other Brother drivers.

I guess on Monday I can set up a chat with Brother, but I doubt they're going to be to offer anything else...
groan. Do I have to scrap this heretofore great machine?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.