Scale to fit below built-in camera doesn't seem to be working for me.

Reaction score
I have a number of apps that can put an icon in the menu bar. All have this box ticked in info. None show anywhere I can see them. Do I need to do anything beyond ticking this box? If not, what might I be doing wrong?

OP
rbpeirce
Reaction score
Exactly. I have several apps that allow scaling but none of them work. I have a 2021 14" MBP. The software is up to date.

From reading this link it appears the screen should narrow by about the amount of a menu bar and these apps should appear there. That doesn't happen.

It is possible these apps claim to work but really don't. Does anybody know of an app that allows scaling and does work? I could try that to see what happens.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
I think the workaround only applies to full screen operations, not when the app is run in a smaller window. Rather than us stomping around in the dark trying to find an app that works or doesn't, what apps are you using that do not?

OP
rbpeirce
Reaction score
I think the workaround only applies to full screen operations, not when the app is run in a smaller window.
You are correct. Thanks. I tried it with SuperDuper! and Drobo Dashboard suddenly appeared in the menu bar, as it should have. OTOH, Safari doesn't work but it doesn't have the option either. Apparently it only works when you actually run apps that have that option. Not really helpful.

Too bad there is no way to get this to work under normal circumstances. I usually have several windows open and almost never have to use full screen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
On the other hand, I've not noticed any top bar items disappearing under the notch. I have noticed the spacing between items shifting as items appear/disappear from the top bar, probably to avoid going under the notch. For me, the notch is not an issue at all.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.