Saving attachments-no can do? Iphone Sucks

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Readdle I know this is focused on docs - at least at the viewer level - but it doesn't state a limitation on file type - at least that I saw from a quick skim. Something like this AND Dropbox might be a fix. No question people would like to see something resembling a more accessible file system on the iPhone - but it's not clear that Apple will ever do that. Enter the jailbreak and aftermarket community. But - if the iPhone doesn't meet your needs - buy the phone that will.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
The iPhone sucks because you chose not to research what it could or couldn't do before buying it? Yes, surely it's the phone's fault.

Doug

OP
B
Reaction score
The iPhone sucks because you chose not to research what it could or couldn't do before buying it? Yes, surely it's the phone's fault.

Doug

No, I actually did a lot of research on it. But, somehow everyone considers saving photos and movies as all anyone would ever need to do and qualifies it as "being able to save an attachment". If you did a search on this forum you would see that there are essentially no threads discussing attachment downloads and what can and can not be done or saved. Everyone expects that "there has to be an app to do that" until you realize that Apple refuses to allow any app to do such a simple function. I'm still going to do more investigating into what can be done, what can be saved and how to do it. If I find anyway to do this, I'll post it. What upsets me is that such an advanced device would be lacking such a basic function and that people are not demanding a way to do it. The many engineers I work with have asked me to let them know how to do this if I figure it out. Even a go-around would be great. Also, if you had a company that had a firewall of approval for every single product your device could interface with wouldn't you think that the folks in support would be able to recommend or even search for the item you need? My company can do that, and it's a few orders of magnitude smaller than Apple.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
No, I actually did a lot of research on it. But, somehow everyone considers saving photos and movies as all anyone would ever need to do and qualifies it as "being able to save an attachment". If you did a search on this forum you would see that there are essentially no threads discussing attachment downloads and what can and can not be done or saved. Everyone expects that "there has to be an app to do that" until you realize that Apple refuses to allow any app to do such a simple function. I'm still going to do more investigating into what can be done, what can be saved and how to do it. If I find anyway to do this, I'll post it. What upsets me is that such an advanced device would be lacking such a basic function and that people are not demanding a way to do it. The many engineers I work with have asked me to let them know how to do this if I figure it out. Even a go-around would be great. Also, if you had a company that had a firewall of approval for every single product your device could interface with wouldn't you think that the folks in support would be able to recommend or even search for the item you need? My company can do that, and it's a few orders of magnitude smaller than Apple.

Obviously, it has nothing to do with being able to do what you're asking. Of course they could make it so that it would be possible to do all of that, but then.. that would defeat the purpose of how they've set up their infrastructure and eco-system, as it were. There's a reason for it. I personally don't like every aspect of it, and the politics involved, but I understand why it is the way it is. And it's my choice to either take it or leave it.

I knew from the start what the limitations were for iOS and the physical interface, so it was easy to decide if I wanted to compromise, or if I was willing to find ways around the issues. Heck, it's never been a secret that most of what you have to work with when purchasing an iOS device is proprietary in nature. It's been one of the most compelling arguments that people who use Windows, NIX and Android systems, use.

It just seems that you're barking up the wrong tree when you go on about the "goons" whom were likely only trying to help you.

That said, look at this: iFlashDrive

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
You could jailbreak it and get an attachment save and use iFile and get other programs so that you can use your iPhone as storage.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.