Sat at work on a Saturday waiting for my new G4

U

UberMousE

I made the switch to Mac a week ago and have had nothing but trouble with it!

I ordered a G4 DP1.25/256/80/Combo which got delivered on Thursday 29/4/2004. I upgraded to Panther and installed a few apps and finally started migrating my data from my windoze box.

Came back to check and the Mac had crashed!!!!!! The screensaver had frozen and a message popped up to tell me to hold the power button in for 5 seconds....... So I did...... Then it wouldn't switch on again........ or make any sound :eek: .......

My hopes were dashed! To make it worse this was Friday evening, my bank holiday weekend of Mac fun had been cancelled by the failure of the Mac!! And even worse, the suppilers were closed until Tuesday!! :mad:

But in all fairness, they arranged to collect it the same day (Tuesday), phoned me the next day to tell me the motherboard had failed (Wednesday) and arranged a replacment by Friday for a pre 12 delivery on Saturday.

So here I am, having had a small taste of OSX I CANNOT WAIT for my new one to turn up. I'm sat here surrounded by an Airport Card, Pioneer 107 Superdrive, 2 Maxtor 160Gb hard drives and 1Gb of RAM that I've bought whilst waiting for the thing to turn up, posting this message in the vain hope that it'll arrive now!

I know I've only had a day and a half of Mac time but I can't see me returning to Windoze anytime soon! :)

OP
T

TylerMoney

well, I'm sorry to hear what happened. that just shouldn't happen; it's not a good way to come into a new relm of computers. I'm gald you're still excited, and know things will be better.

For me, I've had no problems...maybe I'm just lucky?...but I think it's just that for the most part, people shouldn't have any serious problems like that.....

OP
U

UberMousE

GREAT NEWS!!!!! My new G4 has turned up and rather than sending me a refurb (forgot to mention that in the previous post, sorry) THEY'VE SENT ME A BRAND NEW ONE!! AND EVEN BETTER THAN THAT..... It's already got a superdrive (A05), 512Mb RAM instead of 256Mb and preloaded with PANTHER!

Happiness is a computer called Apple!! :D :D :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
That's great news! Very happy to read that! :)

OP
N

natey

I bet the new one is working better than the refurb.

I don't know; refurbs are a miss and hit -- sometimes they work, sometimes they don't, and you get a replacement. Good that the replacement was a new one, and not another refurb.

Also, if you're using powerbook -- make sure that you plug it in when you start loading in programs.

Also, another thing you may want to do is to set it to have the computer on always when it's plugged in, and not sleep. But leave the sleep option on (for 10-15min of inactivity) for battery power. (You'll find this stuff in the preferences, under Energy Saver).

I think that it's best to let the display sleep in either case. It doesn't affect the processing that's going on, but it does help with the display life-time. turn screensavers off, no need if the display is sleeping.

I've had my computer go into sleep mode when I've been in the middle of doing something -- like encoding, installing, or rendering some special effect in a long imovie clip -- then, when I come back, the program crashes (OS is still running, although). So, i turned the sleep off for when I'm plugged in, and I haven't had problems since.

I'm mentioning that, because I know that the energy things default on the powerbook is set to sleep. Sleeping causes problems when there's processing going.

--nate :)

OP
U

UberMousE

Thanks for the tips, I've come across a lovelly little app called 'Jiggler'. It just sits in your dock and after x amount of inactivity jiggles the mouse keeping your Mac awake whilst it's doing longer tasks.

What's this Janitor thing I keep reading about?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pwnt
MacJanitor is a program that will do all the daily/weekly/monthly maintenance tasks your mac usually does at some ridiculous hour in the morning. Since most of us have our computers off or on sleep at that time, MacJanitor lets you perform the tasks at a reasonable time of the day.

OP
P

psychotoe

haahaha nice job, it all worked out for you!!! ;)

UberMousE said:
GREAT NEWS!!!!! My new G4 has turned up and rather than sending me a refurb (forgot to mention that in the previous post, sorry) THEY'VE SENT ME A BRAND NEW ONE!! AND EVEN BETTER THAN THAT..... It's already got a superdrive (A05), 512Mb RAM instead of 256Mb and preloaded with PANTHER!

Happiness is a computer called Apple!! :D :D :D

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.