Samsung T7 SSD, ???

Reaction score
Hi

I recently bought the Samsung T7 touch SSD to connect to a MacBook Pro as a dedicated drive for the use of a VI sample library, however I'm not sure if it's necessary to install the software that came with the T7 as it seems to plug and play straight out the box.. therefore do i need to install the software?

Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
No, it's best not to install the Samsung software. Just use it as is, but you may have to format it to use with your Mac for best efficiency.

Format it HFS+ or APFS depending on which version of macOS you're using.

OP
P
Reaction score
No, it's best not to install the Samsung software. Just use it as is, but you may have to format it to use with your Mac for best efficiency.

Format it HFS+ or APFS depending on which version of macOS you're using.

The T7 is brand new, why do i need to format the drive when there's nothing on it apart from the software. If its recommended? How do i go about it? There are different options in disk utility for reformating, APFS, exFAT, HFS etc, although you've suggested APFS, overall why is it recommended to format a new external SSD drive?

MacBook Pro, OS Mojave 10.14.06

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Most drive makers format them for Windows, given the large market. That is, now, typically NTFS. macOS can read an NTFS drive, but cannot write to it. So it is best if you format the drive to the macOS preferred HFS+ or APFS.

If the drive is exFAT, then both Windows and macOS can read and write to it, but that is not the default format these days.

EDIT: You asked HOW. You do that with Disk Utility, which is found the the Applications folder under the Utilities folder. On the top of the window, find "View" and select "Show All Devices." Select the new drive, then click on Partition and give it a name, then choose the format. If it's an SSD, APFS is best. If you ever want to format a rotating drive, "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" is best. click Apply. Wait until it finishes. Done.

OP
P
Reaction score
Most drive makers format them for Windows, given the large market. That is, now, typically NTFS. macOS can read an NTFS drive, but cannot write to it. So it is best if you format the drive to the macOS preferred HFS+ or APFS.

If the drive is exFAT, then both Windows and macOS can read and write to it, but that is not the default format these days.

EDIT: You asked HOW. You do that with Disk Utility, which is found the the Applications folder under the Utilities folder. On the top of the window, find "View" and select "Show All Devices." Select the new drive, then click on Partition and give it a name, then choose the format. If it's an SSD, APFS is best. If you ever want to format a rotating drive, "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" is best. click Apply. Wait until it finishes. Done.

Thanks, i get it now, after some research it seems NTFS is the standard file format for Windows, and MacOS Extended being the standard format for Mac, whereas APFS is a new format for SSDs on Mac,

I'm wondering if its optiomal to choose between MacOS extended and APFS for formatting the T7 SSD, or would it be exclusive to APFS?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The choice of macOS extended and APFS should largely depend on the version of macOS with which you want to use the SSD. If you only want it on the one machine, and if it's HS or later, APFS may well be better. But if you want to attach to older versions of the OS, or use it as a Time Machine drive, macOS Extended is better. APFS is more efficient for the SSD, macOS Extended goes back to much older versions of the OS. Either is ok. Given you haven't identified the version of macOS you plan to use, that's the best advice we can give.

OP
P
Reaction score
The software that came with the T7 SSD is for creating a password, finger print recognition and encryption, therfore when formatting the drive to APFS for better compliance with the Mac, am i correct in saying it will delete everything including the software? Therefore not having the option to use any future passwords?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The software that came with the T7 SSD is for creating a password, finger print recognition and encryption, therfore when formatting the drive to APFS for better compliance with the Mac, am i correct in saying it will delete everything including the software? Therefore not having the option to use any future passwords?
Well, you could copy the software from the drive to your Mac before you format it, but I suspect it's for Windows, not Mac. As for assigning passwords to a drive, macOS has that capability. And I missed your inclusion of the fact you are on Mojave, so if that's the oldest version you plan to use the drive, APFS is the best format.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Well, you could copy the software from the drive to your Mac before you format it, but I suspect it's for Windows, not Mac.

You're probably correct. I notice that B&H is selling the T7 along with Acronis True Image which is a Windows program that's similar to CCC.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.