Samsung ML1665 Printing Problem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 13" Mid 2013 1.3 GHz i5 8GB RAM OS X 10.11.6 iMac 2.7GHz i5 8GB RAM OS X 10.9.5
I've set up my new iMac with the latest Samsung drivers available from Apple and have an odd printing problem with my ML-1665 Mono Laser Printer.

Basically it will only print once, to get it to print again I can either power off/on, or disconnect/reconnect the USB cable.

If the printer has entered sleep mode, sending a print will wake it, but it wont print until the above procedure is carried out.

I've also tried it plugged directly to my MBA with the same results.

I've only found one other instance of this exact problem on this MacRumors forum, but no answer for solving Problems with Samsung ML1665 and Mini mac 10.7.3 os - MacRumors Forums

I'm totally loving my new Mac, but this is a really annoying problem.

Hope someone can help, thanks.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I'm totally loving my new Mac, but this is a really annoying problem.

Yeah…Samsung products are a pain in the xxx! I hate Samsung.:( If it was my printer…I would return it if it was new…or toss it off the nearest building if it was not new.lol ;)

I wasn't 100% sure from your post if you had this printer working with a previous Mac or non-Mac computer (you mentioned a new Mac). If you had it working with a previous Mac…you get "gold stars" for getting it to work!;)

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful! Please join my "Mac Users that Hate Samsung" campaign!;)

- Nick

p.s. Please understand…I don't auto-hate Samsumg "just because". Like Many Windows users hate Mac's…"just because". I hate Samsung because almost every Samsung device I have owned has been a headache/crap. Display's, laser printer, big screen TV!:(

Last edited:
OP
Moro
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 13" Mid 2013 1.3 GHz i5 8GB RAM OS X 10.11.6 iMac 2.7GHz i5 8GB RAM OS X 10.9.5
Hi Nick,

Thanks, I think ;)

It's not new, I've had it a while now, running from my Windows PC without problems, in fact it's my 2nd Samsung laser, I thought they were great! Always managed to get them at a good price, cheap to run etc.

So, if/when I have to get a new printer, is the general concensus that Samsung don't play nicely with Macs, or are newer models ok? If not, which small laser printers are good?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
LOL Moro at cheap it is still too dear. Like Nick I simply hate Samsung gear. Have had problems with cameras, SSDs, refrigerator and freezer.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
It's not new, I've had it a while now, running from my Windows PC without problems, in fact it's my 2nd Samsung laser, I thought they were great! Always managed to get them at a good price, cheap to run etc.

This explains it!:) I think that some companies focus on compatibility with Windows computers…and don't focus so much on Mac compatibility. So even though some companies sell products that are supposed to be "Mac compatible"…it's not quite as "plug & play" as the manufacturer states (with a Mac).

So, if/when I have to get a new printer, is the general concensus that Samsung don't play nicely with Macs, or are newer models ok? If not, which small laser printers are good?

There are certainly folks that have had success with Samsung products & Mac's. I (and some others I know) haven't. I've developed this opinion over the years…so it's always possible brand new model Samsung products are better.

I'm personally just not going to take the risk of purchasing a new Samsung computing product…getting it home…and spending hours trying to set it up to get it to work (getting a REAL headache in the process). And then having to go thru the hassle of returning it.

I've experienced this too many times (buy Samsung product…get headache…return it)!:( Once bitten…twice shy! Only in my case…Ive been "bitten" many times!:(

As far as other products. I currently have a small multifunction (print, copy, scan) Brother WiFi laser printer…and it works great!:)

HTH,

- Nick

OP
Moro
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Nick,

I've been looking around and have decided to go for a Brother HL-L2360DN from Amazon for £74.99 which has an Ethernet port, so I can connect it into my wired network and it'll be available to all.

All the best,

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.