Sage advice for the new Mac switcher

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Retina
I just noticed this sticky topic. I have to say thanks chas_m for the information.

Reaction score
i totally disagree with chas_m in many ways. Mac is nice and fun if you only need play music, see videos and pictures and have a few e-mails a day. But when it comes to real wok, like 100 or 200's e-mails a day, many windows, folders and files open at same time, - its not functional any more. there are so many working functions missing on mac software, that you take for granted on PC, - that it makes your work more slow on mac.
Huh? I much prefer doing that kind of serious work on my home office iMac than my Windows PC at work, because it is so much more efficient.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2012 - 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5 - 4GB 1600 MHz DDR3
This sticky post has been a brilliant resource for a new mac user and an interesting read. I notice that the original post by Chas was written back in 2010. I want to install the suggested utilities but notice that some of them are no longer in use, or are out dated. Is there an up to date list of utilities that a new mac user should think about installing?
Thanks in advance.

OP
C

chas_m

This sticky post has been a brilliant resource for a new mac user and an interesting read. I notice that the original post by Chas was written back in 2010. I want to install the suggested utilities but notice that some of them are no longer in use, or are out dated. Is there an up to date list of utilities that a new mac user should think about installing?
Thanks in advance.

There's really only two that are no longer supported -- YASU and Perian. The rest are all still around and continue to be recommended. Maintenance does the same job as YASU, so you're still good to go there (you can use Maintenance's sister product OnyX, the latter is just a slightly more elaborate version of the other), and Perian continues to work despite being discontinued.

I'll check to see that the links are all still okay, but basically the piece stands intact even three years later -- a minor miracle, that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2012 - 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5 - 4GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Thanks Chas. So glad that I found this forum first :) I do have quite a few other questions but am gonna start new threads in the appropriate places. Cheers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 IMac, 2.7GHz i5, 32GB 1333MHz, OSX 10.13.6
Following the advice in the original posting I've downloaded Maintenance and it now resides in Applications. When I try to open it I get a warning box saying it can't be opened as it is from an unidentified developer. Is there something I need to do?

Cheers

Steve

OP
M

MacInWin

That's the Apple protection for you. To open it, right click on it, then choose Open. After that, you won't need to do that again to run it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 Imac 27"
Thanks for the sticky

Long time windoze user here going back to 3.1 so I've been around the block a bit. Broke down last year and bought a Gen4 Ipad and love it. Now have decided to break with windows almost completely and have a 27" Imac arriving tomorrow. Just joined the forum and this is the first post I've read.

I know I'll have to unlearn some things and will have to learn a lot more but appreciate the FAQ's and the threads for us Noob's that hopefully if we read them first won't have to ask a lot of useless questions that have already been asked and answered a hundred times. Thanks for the initial advice and looking forward to see if all the accolades that the Mac geeks have said are true. :)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Hfcomms, welcome to Mac Forums and to the world of Macs and OSX! If we can help you in ANY way, just ask. No question is too dumb! We all had to start sometime! Ask away!

I think you will love that 27" iMac.

OP
M

MacInWin

Congrats on the new iMac, hfcomms. Welcome to the forum. I switched in 2008, now an an all-Apple household. It's not perfect, but it is pretty good and the best part is not having to wrestle with antivirus software, registries, etc! Most of the time, "It just works."

Feel free to ask away, but remember, "Search" is your friend!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, OSX 10.8.5, 2.5 GHz Intel core i5 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 - I also have an iPad Air.
Hi hfcomms! So glad to see another switcher. :D

Reaction score
Excellent ufo, I try to keep it as simple as I can with my Mac, Reason I have a Mac and getting an iPhone.

Reaction score
Anti virus and original post

I wonder does Chas_Mstill feels he same way about anti virus as he did in 2010?

OP
C

chas_m

I wonder does Chas_Mstill feels he same way about anti virus as he did in 2010?

I wrote that nearly four years ago now, and if anything its more true now than it was then.

Still ZERO viruses, and now Apple has included built-in and silently-updated anti-malware protection as well as constantly ratcheting up the security (mostly from third-party threats like Java and Flash). As predicted, OS X has continued to be remarkably resistant to threats.

NMD

Reaction score
Hi,

Just bought a Mac Book Pro and was wondering about the Flip4Mac WMV player, it seems that it is not free anymore?
Sorry for the newbie questions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Hi,

Just bought a Mac Book Pro and was wondering about the Flip4Mac WMV player, it seems that it is not free anymore?
Sorry for the newbie questions.

WOW!! Good question, and I hadn't noticed the newer Flip4Mac became commercial as of May 1st, 2014 apparently.

I just checked my older 3.2.0.6 installed version and even though its update prefs were set to check weekly which it says it had done, only when I click the "Check Now' do I get the message to "Click "Update Now" to get Flip4Mac 3.3."

No mention of any payment needed - nada!! I wonder where the required payment happens????

I think I'll just leave the older Flip4Mac as is as I haven't noticed any problem using OS X 10.9.4 Mavericks.

OP
C

chas_m

You're right, it is now $6 for a license. A pity, but worth the money for the convenience. I just wish the WMV format would finish dying.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
You're right, it is now $6 for a license. A pity, but worth the money for the convenience. I just wish the WMV format would finish dying.

What's even more convenient is using the free VLC instead.

OP
C

chas_m

That's a good alternative but doesn't work for embedded WMV in web sites, etc. That was where Flip4Mac really excelled.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A1286 MBP5,3 running 10.9.5, iphone6, Mac mini1,1 A1176 120/2gb
thrilled

I have never been so thrilled to be a convert to apple. Stuff just WORKS! Computers haven't been the same since DOS, but that has all returned for me. There are a lot of GREAT programs out there for macs to run. No more Windows for me.
:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.