Sage advice for the new Mac switcher

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2 GHz i7, 4 GB RAM
Interesting topic, and it has obviously swayed quite a bit from the original intention of this thread. We need to look at where the majority of software is developed: Microsoft and Apple both being based in the US (North America) and where the majority of piracy occurs:

Business Software Alliance Piracy Rates By Region

Looking at these findings, the North American region (where most software is developed) is a novice compared with other regions.

"There is no free lunch in economics." If you want it, buy it.

Love your original post, chas_m. :)

Reaction score
Interesting topic, and it has obviously swayed quite a bit from the original intention of this thread....

I am a recent "switcher" (MacBook Pro i7). My response was a direct reply to the slant of one of the paragraphs in the original post... so that isn't "swaying quite a bit" from the original post.

Reaction score
Loving the new shiny shiny...

Hey
Apple-devoted other half has finally convinced me to relegate my PC to the garage. New iMac is lovely, iTunes is set up, Library and Playlists imported, Time Machine connected, preferences almost worked out BUT...here's the thing - my entire working life has been on the PC (give or take) and so all my documentation is generated in MSOffice. Because of this, I chose to have Office for Mac on the new machine. This makes all my docs work of course, but there are loads of little things in Word for the Mac which are weird - and in some cases, more time-consuming and less helpful than on the PC (I know this is heresy). Can anyone be bothered to go through these few wee things with me, so I can see if they are things I can figure out a work-around for, or if they are just going to have to be part of the ongoing and joyous process of unlearning and relearning? Used to mousing everything and am oddly reluctant to start using keyboard shortcuts but if that's the only way...I guess my memory will either adapt or melt! Cheers :)

OP
C

chas_m

Tintigieu:

You'll have much better luck finding an answer by starting your own thread on this topic in the appropriate forum (which is probably "Mac OS X Applications and Games").

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 17" late 2007 model (A1229) 2.6Ghz; 4GB Ram
Chas

As a new convert to Mac (MacBook Pro) can I say thanks for this post - great for a newbie like me as I begin my journey into the world of Mac - thanks :)

Reaction score
Not Too Little, but Too Late

If only I read this before I screwed with my Mac... :(

Reaction score
Thanks

Thanks for the excellent post -
I switched to a MacBookPro 15" after my Alienware PC had died after several years sterling service. The iPod and iTunes on my PC helped push me in the Mac direction.

Not only was the original post very helpfull (should be a link to it with every new Mac!), but I've picked up a lot of helpfull advice from some of the following posts and replies.

Thanks everyone.

:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" iMac 2.5 GHz,8 GB Ram
One of The greatest threads of all time. I thank you for all your time and effort.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" i5. 4GB, 2.4Ghz, 320GB. Mid 2010
Thank you! This post has helped me a lot.

OP
C

chas_m

Here's another little bit of useful info I knew was out there and could never find that was up-to-date. People always ask me "how big IS a terabyte exactly?" and they don't mean "how many gigabytes is it" because they don't know what that is either.

What they mean is "how much STUFF can I put in there?"

Here ya go:

All of this is "on average" of course, YMMV, but if you want to know how big a terabyte is in practical terms, multiply the 256GB row by four.

Reaction score
Thanks

Thanks for the tips. I just got my very first Mac this past Saturday and I feel like a toddler learning how to walk all over again. I do still have my PC as there are some school programs that I am not sure than I can run on my Mac yet, but I'm so eager to learn and already IN LOVE with my iMac!

Reaction score
Also, the pinch gesture zooms in and out (like the iPhone). Oh, and twisting switches tabs. Three-finger swipe goes back and forward too.

Another one I love: Hit the / key and then start typing and it searches within the page for the terms you type.

Have a news site you like? Click the RSS button in the address bar and then add it to your Bookmarks toolbar. Then, click the entry for it and it will drop down a menu with titles of the latest stories.

I could go on and on.... :D

Now I want one of these...

Reaction score
My respect...

...to the writer.

The text is inspired.
It is solid, complete and well structured.

Humorous spirit is necessary at these occasions and herein it is abundant, without altering the true purpose.

Well done chas_m.

I don't know your age but what I deduce is that your way of thinking is crystal clear.

Personally, thank you for your prolific delivery.
To me, the writing is well in context and helped me a lot.

Br/George

Last edited:
Reaction score
In a Winnebago - wherever I feel like going.
Your Mac's Specs
13-inch MacBook Air with i5 processor and OS X Lion.
Excellent advice

Thanks for the excellent tips. Having switched only two weeks ago, it was just the kind of information I needed as a newby. My first and only Mac is a MacBook Air, 1.7 Ghz I-5, 256 GB SSD, OS X Lion. It's been a very pleasant, interesting switch.

Reaction score
Thx :Blushing:

Inspiration, remember?

LOL to infinity

Reaction score
@chas_m I just saw this link on your signature in one of the threads... gud one, agree to everything here...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 2006 | 2011 21.5in iMac-1tb-i5-12gig | iPhone 3gs
Ummm I didn't go through the 8 pages of posts but when I tried to click on the link to Switch 101 - I get a line of text that says... "There is no relationship between this site and the advertiser."

Then a link to TradeDoubler.... ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.