Safari window in Mavericks repeatedly goes dark

Reaction score
Mac Pro , early 2008
tried resetting Safari, emptying caches, re-starting...problem persists

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
This is a desktop Mac Pro?

What graphics card as some of the early models had problems?

OP
B
Reaction score
Chipset Model: ATI Radeon HD 4870
Type: GPU

I hope this is the info you requested.

This card was installed about two years ago, replacing the old original .....By the way, right-clicking the dark screen allows me to reload the page....but the problem recurs regularly on any page I open...
thanks for the reply...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Still got the original on hand Brad? If so pop it in and give it a try. Is the 4870 the 500MB Apple model or a flashed 1GB PC model?

If no joy, pen her up, remove the card, wipe the connectors, and re-install seating firmly.

OP
B
Reaction score
I'll have to hunt around for the original........just moved houses about 2 months ago.....many boxes still at old place...buried in boxes here.....This problem just showed up last week so the ol mac Pro has been working fine for just about two months since the move.

The 4870 is a 512 mb unit......sounds like good advice to look after the contacts......just getting over the flu here so I should have some time soon to dig out instructions on how to find the 4870 to do the housecleaning. I can build a house from the ground up or scribe a cabinet casing to a rough rock wall.....but never got instructions on computer mechanics.....Oh well....this is how we learn....

Thanks again for your kind interest.....Brad Davis

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.