Safari Volume vs. iTunes Volume

Reaction score
First post here... This is something that has driven me nuts for quite some time now... I use a firewire cable to run my computer's audio through to some high-end studio monitors. I did this mainly for my iTunes, but also it's nice to hear the audio of youtube videos, etc. through the speakers... Problem is that the volume of the youtube videos and any other audio that comes from Safari is ridiculously loud in comparison to the audio output of iTunes. Especially annoying if I'm listening to iTunes while browsing and come upon a site that plays music automatically. It's always ear-splittingly loud and extremely irritating! Is there any way to turn the master volume down for Safari?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
You might give Audio Hijack Pro a try. You should be able to hijack the audio that comes through Safairi and apply an effect that reduces the volume to something similar to iTunes before sending sound to the monitors.

The manual should give you an idea how to do this. The demo places noise over sounds longer than a few minutes but is fully functional otherwise. Should be possible for you to try and see if it works before buying the full version. Well worth the money IMHO.

BTW don't know why I did not think of setting this up. I have noticed the same thing on some videos. Thanks for the idea.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
iTunes has it's own volume control separate from the Master volume control.

Turn the volume control inside iTunes all the way up.
If you're currently playing something, maybe pause it or turn the master volume down first.

Now control all volume whether iTunes or youtube via the master volume on the menu bar or the keyboard shortcuts.

(The volume in all youtube, and other, content is not created equal.)

After you have maxed out the volume inside iTunes, as you go back and forth between iTunes, the web, etc., you can fine tune the iTunes setting.
I keep iTunes maxed and rarely notice much, if any, difference between different sources other than a few obnoxious web sites that purposely have recorded their audio at too high a level.

Last edited:

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I didn't even think of this method. I actually have mine set that way so that when I am feeding music to the stereo connected to my Apple TV I can adjust volume from the receiver and not worry about needing to go to the computer for adjustments.

M

MacInWin

Yeah, I was trying to figure out why I don't have the problem and realized that I had it set up that way from the beginning.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.