Safari Style Maximizing in Firefox?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.16ghz Core Duo | 1GB RAM | 100 GB HDD | 256MB ATI RADEON x1600
Although it bothers many, i have always liked the way Safari handles maximizing, making it only as big as it is necessary. I have felt that maximizing it to fit the entire screen is pointless as it wastes valuable screen real estate.

What I wanted to know is if there is a way to make Firefox maximize in a similar fashion to Safari, or if there is a browser that maximizes like safari and adds the functionality of Firefox.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I'm not sure what you mean? When I hit the maximize button in Firefox, it only maximizes the window as wide as it needs to be to display a page. I take it yours goes full screen?

OP
Ninjab3ar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm not sure what you mean? When I hit the maximize button in Firefox, it only maximizes the window as wide as it needs to be to display a page. I take it yours goes full screen?

yes, mine does, kind of. It becomes large enough to cover the whole screen, minus the row to the right where the hard drive icon sits. Maybe i dont have the most recent version...

OP
Ninjab3ar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nope, im using the most recent build. Are you sure it maximizes like in firefox? Or is the wesite made to re-justify the text in accordance the the width of the window (mac-forums does that)

Try it on a website like youtube.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Nope, im using the most recent build. Are you sure it maximizes like in firefox? Or is the wesite made to re-justify the text in accordance the the width of the window (mac-forums does that)

Try it on a website like youtube.

You're right - it does exactly what you describe, maximizes beyond the page borders, leaving about 1 3/4" of an inch along the right side (on my 15.4" screen). Never noticed that before. I wonder if it's just that the Firefox developers consider this a "default" maximized size?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.