Safari problems

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Model Name: MacBook Pro Model Identifier: MacBookPro9,1 Processor Name: Intel Core i7 Processo
I was experiencing screen distortions while running Safari. Took the MacBook Pro to the MacAuthority store. They downloaded the latest upgrade for Yosemite. Worked better for two days, then back to distortions again. I downloaded Firefox for mac. No more problems. Works better and faster than Safari.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
What kinds of distortions were you seeing? The fact that it worked for a few days with no issues suggests Safari was not the issue. There's something causing this behavior.

I use Safari under Yosemite daily as do many other members. If this were a recurring issue the wailing and gnashing of teeth would be epic.

Reaction score
I think Safari isn't bad. I am using this as a default browser side by side Mozila Firefox.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Model Name: MacBook Pro Model Identifier: MacBookPro9,1 Processor Name: Intel Core i7 Processo
The techs at MacAuthority worked on this computer for over two hours trying various fixes. It acted up while they worked on it. They did download the Yosemite update. The only other thing they would have done was move all data into a new user. They felt that the problem was with Safari under the current user - me. Since the update seemed to solve the problem while I was there we all thought all was OK. Got back home and a couple days later it started again. The only time the problem was evident was when I was on the internet browsing with Safari. i.e. No problems using Excel, Word or other software.

Based on that I decided to try Firefox for mac. I have been running it now for over two weeks with no problems at all. It runs faster than Safari did. Seems obvious to me that Safari was the problem. Maybe Apple will come out with a fix.

My wife has the identical computer as mine. Hers has produced distortion only twice using Safari. So it must be something in my computer that conflicts with Safari and is OK with Firefox. So, from now on it's Firefox for me.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I was wondering exactly what the distortion was. The fact that they created a new user account should have ruled out the possibility that the problem was something in your account unless that got added back as data was moved over.

What exactly did the distortion look like? I don't have a problem with your using Firefox. I'm curious what was happening with Safari since we haven't had a flood of complaints.

M

MacInWin

Can you describe the "distortion" for us? I'm using Safari and having no problems, as are the vast majority of users, so it's got to be something in your system(s).

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Several things would happen.
1. The images would become 'jittery' and I couldn't add any text. I would have to turn Safari off and then back on to stop it.
2. It would display large solid black boxes over images on the screen. I could not make them go away unless I went through the process of shutting Safari down.
3. In email when entering text the cursor would keep blinking after a letter and prevent any further text from being entered. Again, solution from #1.

I had saved screen shots to show the techs and they said they had never seen anything like that before. Since it has been cured by using Firefox I have deleted the screen shots. BTW: They did not move data to a new user. That would have been the next step and would take about 45 minutes. Since I had been there two hours already we decided to try it after the update download. It is a 1.5 hour drive over to Chattanooga so I decided to try this fix. It works and I'm a happy guy now.

Reaction score
oh no!!!!

Black boxes did you say black boxes!!!

Crud Crud Double p.e fudge.

It's your logic board is about to go out and badly the black blocks on the screen are signs of a GPU Failure and because you can't upgrade the graphics card you basically will have to get the logic board replaced you need to go to a real apple store and have them run a diagnostic A.S.A.P on both machines if it's doing it on both it leads me to think a piece of malware or adware could be clocking the graphics card and causing failures which is worse because when this old trick happens it melts the solder that joins the GPU to the board.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.