safari help

Reaction score
I downloaded the new safari and now my OS X is no longer supported. How do I fix this. My OS X is 10.7

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
You must have downloaded a newer version of Safari in a way other than "Software Update" under the Apple menu. What verson of Safari was it?

If this version of Safari is too new for OS 10.7…then you can't use it. Thus you ether have to:

- Continue using the older version of Safari you had previously.
- Use a different internet browser like Chrome or FireFox.
- Upgrade your computers OS to a newer version (if possible).

* Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
safari is 7.0.4 and somehow it replaced older version. I believe safari is the only browser I have, so I have now way to download chrome or firefox. When I tried to update to Yosemite I can't remember my password and when I click on "forgot password" I get "session timed out try again" I am presently using my wifes pc. Can I download chrome or firefox onto a usb wjth her computer and try to insatall it on my mac,.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
safari is 7.0.4 and somehow it replaced older version.

Yes that is the way it works. The newer version replaced the older version.

Safari 7 is way too new for the OS on your computer (10.7). Safari 7 needs OS 10.9 or higher.

I believe safari is the only browser I have, so I have now way to download chrome or firefox.

I would add one detail. Sounds like Safari 7 is the only browser on this computer…and because Safari 7 is too new of a version…that's why it's not running/launching.

When I tried to update to Yosemite I can't remember my password and when I click on "forgot password" I get "session timed out try again"…

I'm not sure how I can help here. Got to remember those passwords.:)

Can I download chrome or firefox onto a usb wjth her computer and try to insatall it on my mac,.

Good idea. I'm not 100% sure…give it a try. It won't take very long to do it. Of course make sure of two things:

1. That you're downloading the Mac version of Chrome or Firefox.
2. Download the version compatible with Mac OS X 10.7 (probably 10.7.5).

Good luck,:)

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
I ended up using my wifes pc to go on the apple website to reset my password. I was then able to upgrade my OSX to Yosemite. Thanks for the help.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I ended up using my wifes pc to go on the apple website to reset my password. I was then able to upgrade my OSX to Yosemite. Thanks for the help.

That was certainly a great idea! Good deal!

Thanks for a happy ending to the story.:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.