Safari browser emulation?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro Core2Duo, 2.33Ghz, 2GB Ram, 15.4"
Hi there,

I came across this on cnet's site:

"compatibility with Windows Live Mail is poor. However, Safari includes a browser emulation mode, in which you can have the browser render pages and emulate a range of other browsers out there, great for web developers and designers like myself. Only problem is to enable this menu, you have to type in a terminal command. Which, I've now forgotten."

Does anyone here know how to get this emulation mode to work? It would be great if I could get live mail and yahoo mail (as well as a few other sites) fully working in safari as I prefer it overall to firefox.

All the best
Simon :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
From the ever useful macosxhints.com:

% defaults write com.apple.Safari IncludeDebugMenu 1

Also, I really recommend checking out Webkit (The latest open source package of the engine that safari is based on) - it has some great web developer tools!

http://webkit.org

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks, didn't know about either of those sites. I'm totally new to using terminal so how do I actually use that command? I closed safari, opened terminal, typed "% defaults write com.apple.Safari IncludeDebugMenu 1" but it said "-bash: fg: %: no such job".

I managed to get the menu by using Safari Enhancer but when using Windows MSIE 6.0 User agent live mail just hangs on login and yahoo mail pops up a message a bout viewing messages in a different language. Any ideas how to get this working?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh sorry, the % sign isn't supposed to be in there... just copy and paste from 'defaults' on...

Have you tried using Webkit? It has fixes and updates that aren't in safari yet...

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I couldn't get webkit to work as it said it wasn't compatible with plugins and I don't know how to disable my safari plugins temporarily so I can use it :-s

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Intel Core Duo 2 (Standard)
Yea I tried using IE Agent but it just kept "spinning" the Loading sign on the Windows Live Mail Page.

Can some one explain how I go about installing the latest Webkit? I know it's newbish but still, please.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just download it from the webkit page. (Select the latest nightly at the top of the list)

You can also use Nightshift to automatically keep your version of webkit up to date.

Just ignore the popup regarding 3rd party plugins unless you experience regular crashes...

Btw, even though the app is called 'Webkit', it will still say 'Safari' in the menu bar, which can be a bit confusing...

Reaction score
Hi there,

I came across this on cnet's site:

"compatibility with Windows Live Mail is poor. However, Safari includes a browser emulation mode, in which you can have the browser render pages and emulate a range of other browsers out there, great for web developers and designers like myself. Only problem is to enable this menu, you have to type in a terminal command. Which, I've now forgotten."

Does anyone here know how to get this emulation mode to work? It would be great if I could get live mail and yahoo mail (as well as a few other sites) fully working in safari as I prefer it overall to firefox.

All the best

What do you mean by 'fully working'? I use Yahoo! mail and Safari and it works just fine OR am I missing something???

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I can't get webkit to work as after the message about plugins it crashes. Is there a way around that?

By "fully working" I mean with the added features that you only get with firefox and IE.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Deeper didn't help either :-(

I mean added features such as drag and drop, right click menus etc makes it far more productive than the old check box style interface.

Any other thoughts how to get this working?

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It would be handy if having an IE user agent isn't possible in Safari to have a Firefox one which is at least version 1.5. CamiTools for Camino has this so is there an equivalent for Safari somewhere?

Simon:)

Reaction score
Onyx, under the Parameters tab, then the Safari tab, has a control to turn on Safari's debug menu.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.