Safari - BIG PROBLEM

Reaction score
Wife was having trouble earlier with Safari (6.1) not allowing her onto youtube. Message may have said update/use later version of Safari. Not sure of the wording but in our haste I clicked, downloaded AND installed Safari 7.x. This was for Mavericks and will not open on her MBP running 10.7.5.

I tried to trash Safari in the Applications folder but apparently that isn't allowed. I then downloaded Safari 6.1 from Apple. Installed it (so it said) successfully. But it does not appear in the Apps folder. And the 7.1 Safari icon remains there (white circle with a slash across it).

Next I tried downloading 6.1 into a different folder (in the user's directory) which it did. I tried opening it from there and that failed.

I've downloaded OS X Lion Update 10.7.5 (client combo) but also believe there may be a backup OS on the computer so haven't tried anything as drastic as running either of these yet. Surely there's something simpler.

So what do I need to do to restore and get back a working application of Safari?

Thanks for any info. Bill

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
My thought is your Time Machine backup copy of Safari, but I don't know if that's feasible.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.