Safari - address bar 'top hit' disable?

gregraygun

Reaction score
Is there a way to disable top hit in the Safari address bar for new search? It's the most annoying thing ever!

I want to type a search and hit return and go, not be tagged to a previous search or favorite that matches.
Why would anyone want that behavior? I really do not understand ? I have favorites and bookmarks for such a thing.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.5 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
A warm welcome to Mac-Forums.

Open Safari.
Then Click on Safari in top menu bar.
Click on Settings
This will open a small window.
Click on "Search" and untick "Preload Top hit in the background"

S1.jpg

Here is where you can make further alterations as required.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Is there a way to disable top hit in the Safari address bar for new search? It's the most annoying thing ever!

I want to type a search and hit return and go, not be tagged to a previous search or favorite that matches.
Why would anyone want that behavior? I really do not understand ? I have favorites and bookmarks for such a thing.
Welcome to the forum! I'm happy you got your question answered about how to change the behavior, but to answer your other questions, I use the behavior all the time. Favorites and bookmarks are fine for a few things, but unless they are on the Favorites bar, it's more work to get to them--opening bookmarks, searching for it, etc. But typing a few characters in the search bar and having the item pop up as the top hit makes it much easier to get to the site without having to plow through bookmark lists.

However, Apple knows different folks want different ways to do things, so they provided the option for you (and me) to pick.

OP
G

gregraygun

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! I'm happy you got your question answered about how to change the behavior, but to answer your other questions, I use the behavior all the time. Favorites and bookmarks are fine for a few things, but unless they are on the Favorites bar, it's more work to get to them--opening bookmarks, searching for it, etc. But typing a few characters in the search bar and having the item pop up as the top hit makes it much easier to get to the site without having to plow through bookmark lists.

However, Apple knows different folks want different ways to do things, so they provided the option for you (and me) to pick.
Thanks, I think I was so used to type, hit enter for a new search, it started messing with me. I do see now with your explanation how this can work, so I dove in all the way and I found a trick that works for me, maybe it could work for others? The issue here being that setting "preload top hits in background" does not turn off 'top hits' it still brings up favorites, and bookmarks, along with any new history.

So, Using just like you mention for favorites, bookmarks, and new history, is great, but many times I just use that location for a new search, and I found that you can! Just remember to type a space after the characters you want to search and that sets you off to your preferred search engine! Thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.