Safari 15.1 Preferences

Reaction score
Hi
My problem is when Safari 15.1 on my iMac is opened, it opens with a number of pages from the last session. It wasn't that way with previous version.

To rectify the problem, I went to preferences to change the option To my surprise I found but 2 options. They were:

a. All windows from last session.
b. All non-private windows from last session.

No other options available under the block titled "Safari opens with" other than the two described.

Having the same browser and operating system on my laptop, Monterey and Safari 15.1, I have 4 options to choose from in the "Safari opens with" block. The additional 2 are:

a. A new window.
b. A new private window.

I am assuming the Monterey download had a faulty browser included in the update. So, I started looking for a stand alone download of Safari 15.1. No luck!

What to do?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Something is definitely not right with your version of Safari. I have 4 options available when I open preferences. My Safari reads version: Version 15.1 (17612.2.9.1.20)

Safari can no longer be downloaded as a stand alone app for macOS, however, the Safari Tech Preview can be downloaded separately. You can try that if you wish or reinstall Monterey.

OP
Y
Reaction score
Something is definitely not right with your version of Safari. I have 4 options available when I open preferences. My Safari reads version: Version 15.1 (17612.2.9.1.20)

Safari can no longer be downloaded as a stand alone app for macOS, however, the Safari Tech Preview can be downloaded separately. You can try that if you wish or reinstall Monterey.

I thought it to be a bit odd. My laptop affirmed it. Thanks for the tips. I'll try what I feel comfortable with and that would be reinstalling Monterey. How would I achieve that when I go to update, it correctly tells me I am "up to date." Is there a workaround to that barrier?

OP
Y
Reaction score

Well

Well,
I thought it to be a bit odd. My laptop affirmed it. Thanks for the tips. I'll try what I feel comfortable with and that would be reinstalling Monterey. How would I achieve that when I go to update, it correctly tells me I am "up to date." Is there a workaround to that barrier?

Firstly, thank you for your suggestions. Much appreciated. I waited to reply until I tried one of them, specifically reloading Monterey. Unfortunately, it didn't correct the problem. I'll try the 2nd option and let you know the result.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
What about deleting com.apple.safari.plist ??
Can't hurt to try that...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.