Runaway fan - Temp sensors on Display/LCD on Late 2013 27" iMac ME088LL/A?

Reaction score
For reasons not important here I had to remove the Display/LCD assembly from my late 2013 27" iMac (ME088LL/A). The Display/LCD assembly currently has all wire/harness connections unconnected while I run off an an external 27" monitor. However, the fan/blower runs at high speed now constantly. Is there some type of temperature sensor on the Display Assembly? Why would the fan/blower run at high speed without a display? (The display is on the Mac now an taped down but as I said, there are no connections to it.

The iMac works great this way using an external monitor but obviously I don't want the fan/blower to run at 100%. It is extremely loud, even with the display on the unit and taped down.

Thanks in advance for you answers and input.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
iMac is probably programmed to "expect" all proper connections be made for it to pass all hardware tests...and if one or more hardware tests fail...this is propably the reason for the high fan rpm's.

- Nick

OP
Reaction score
Thanks... I've discovered that the sensor in question is a part of the display unit itself and cannot be reconnect by itself. I am now using fan control software and it works great as a temp solution until I can replace the display. Thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.