Run a system scan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac OS X 2.3GHzIntel Core i5
How do I run a system scan on OS X 10.9.5?

OP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry

I need to run a system scan for spyware. I got an email from a bank that I don't have an account with. I didn't reply but called them and told them I had gotten a suspicious email. That is why I need to run the scan.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac. Intel Quad Core. 16 GB Ram.
I think it's safe to say we all get those types of e-mail coming through every now and again. I certainly do, from Bank's and Building Societies I do not have an account with. They are just scammers trying to get hold of your account details.

Just delete them from your inbox and that will be it. No need for scans.

OP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I thought it might help the bank stop scams.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac. Intel Quad Core. 16 GB Ram.
It's not the Bank that is running the scam. It is people looking for your Bank account details so they can help themselves to your hard earned cash.

I occasionally get one from Paypal, It's not really Paypal that sending them, to tell me my account has been suspended and to click on the attachment below to confirm my details so that my account can be reopened.

It is scammers trying to get hold of your account details. As long as you just ignore them and do not respond they will get nothing from you.

A Bank or Building Society will never send you e-mails of that nature, they will telephone you about any account queries.

Just delete them and forget about them.

M

MacInWin

One of the tenets of safe computing is to NEVER click on a link to any site in an email from someone claiming that something with your account needs review or is available for review. NEVER.

I have a credit protection service that sends me alerts when certain financial transactions occur. They include a link to their site to see more information. Even thought I've signed up, and I KNOW who they are, I never click the links. I enter the address in the address bar or use a bookmark to get to their site. That's paranoia, I know, but it's SAFE paranoia1

C

chas_m

Macs are resistant to viruses and malware, but they are not immune to scam emails from people who don't even know what bank you use, but are hoping you are as dumb as they are and will click the link that takes you to their looks-like-the-bank fake website where you will give them sensitive financial information.

This has nothing to do with malware or viruses, it's just jerks trying to trick you using email. As mentioned above, NEVER click on a link in an email that claims you need to log in to provide certain kinds of information. Copy the link and check it out in a browser if you're really unsure, but 99 times out of 100 this will be a scam.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.