Rogue Trackpad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2012 21.5" iMac. and a Mini iPad 2.
I've been using an Apple magic Trackpad for some time now with my Late 2012 21.5 iMac running Catalina and I've been very happy with it, but recently it has become difficult to use and I have had to revert to a Magic Mouse. The Trackpad seems to have become very sensitive and almost has a will of its own, highlighting areas of the screen in blue and other random misbehaviour. I've tried making adjustments in Preferences but all to no avail, so I must be missing something and would be grateful for some help. Many thanks, John.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I've been using an Apple magic Trackpad for some time now with my Late 2012 21.5 iMac running Catalina and I've been very happy with it, but recently it has become difficult to use and I have had to revert to a Magic Mouse. The Trackpad seems to have become very sensitive and almost has a will of its own, highlighting areas of the screen in blue and other random misbehaviour. I've tried making adjustments in Preferences but all to no avail, so I must be missing something and would be grateful for some help. Many thanks, John.

Hi John - just some simple questions to start which you may have already done? Have you rebooted the computer? Is the trackpad an older one w/ batteries or the newer version(s) w/ a lightning charge port? Have you changed batteries and if rechargeables tried a new set; and have you tried another charging cable? Again I'm sure you've considered and tested these latter suggestions (but does not hurt to ask). Finally, have you been able to test the trackpad on another computer? Good luck - Dave :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Updated to OS X.15.7 removed the problem of a flakey trackpad.

OP
leedslad
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi John - just some simple questions to start which you may have already done? Have you rebooted the computer? Is the trackpad an older one w/ batteries or the newer version(s) w/ a lightning charge port? Have you changed batteries and if rechargeables tried a new set; and have you tried another charging cable? Again I'm sure you've considered and tested these latter suggestions (but does not hurt to ask). Finally, have you been able to test the trackpad on another computer? Good luck - Dave :)
Hi Dave. Thanks for your response . I've done all the stuff you've suggested and the batteries are nice new ones. I've also tried Safe Boot and reset the P RAM which did improve things a little. Unfortunately I don't have access to another Apple computer. Many thanks, John.

OP
leedslad
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Updated to OS X.15.7 removed the problem of a flakey trackpad.

Thanks Harry. I too updated to OS X 15.7 which cured some minor glitches before the Trackpad began its antics. Maybe a future update will improve things some more. Meanwhile, I'll get back into using the Magic Mouse again - I'd not used it for a while ! John.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.