Right Click Question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.06 iMac i3|12GB|500GB
I know that you can right click by pressing control, but when I first used mac you used to be able to hold down the mouse button and it would be the same as pressing control. Does anyone know how to do this or if it is possible?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I know that you can right click by pressing control, but when I first used mac you used to be able to hold down the mouse button and it would be the same as pressing control. Does anyone know how to do this or if it is possible?

Just verified it on my MacBook Pro - and although someone had mentioned it previously, I had only used it for bringing up my "Start menu" (shortcut to Applications folder stored on my dock). Just press and hold the mouse/trackpad button until the menu springs up.

OP
XMARLTONX
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.06 iMac i3|12GB|500GB
I have a USB apple 1 button mouse, is there a way to get it to work with that?

When I did this orginally it was on an imac, and old colored one.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have a USB apple 1 button mouse, is there a way to get it to work with that?

When I did this orginally it was on an imac, and old colored one.

Hmmm... I'd imagine that's a Mighty Mouse - and if I'm right, it's touch sensitive (that is, there is no physical buttons). I noticed that I can't use tap-and-hold to do a right click on my trackpad (but I can on my button), so I would imagine that you're not going to be able to do it on the Mighty Mouse either.

Do you have an extra USB (normal) mouse? Maybe try that?

OP
XMARLTONX
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.06 iMac i3|12GB|500GB
Not a mighty mouse, I never liked `em =)

The older one button mac mouse:

250px-Apple_mouse_Pro.jpg

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not a mighty mouse, I never liked `em =)

The older one button mac mouse:

250px-Apple_mouse_Pro.jpg

OK, you got me :) I have no idea why it's not working. Works just great on both my trackpad and Logitech V270.

OP
XMARLTONX
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.06 iMac i3|12GB|500GB
Strange, and you're just holding it down?

When I hold down the mouse button or the trackpad button nothing pops up.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Strange, and you're just holding it down?

When I hold down the mouse button or the trackpad button nothing pops up.

Yep, say for example, I move down to one of my open applications on my Dock, I just click and hold and the contextual menu pops up. I'm befuddled as to why it's not working for you. I don't believe I ever "enabled" it in any way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
Seems the click-and-hold is only a Dock thing. I can't get the left mouse button to bring up a contextual menu with either my trackpad or Mighty Mouse in, say Safari or the desktop. Anything that's in the Dock, however, will bring up the context menu a-la control/right click with a click-and-hold.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.5ghz Powerbook G4 17" 2gb RAM
Seems the click-and-hold is only a Dock thing. I can't get the left mouse button to bring up a contextual menu with either my trackpad or Mighty Mouse in, say Safari or the desktop. Anything that's in the Dock, however, will bring up the context menu a-la control/right click with a click-and-hold.

yes... thats what is going on for me also!

Reaction score

To get right-clicking on the touchpad, I had to go System Preferences > Keyboard & Mouse > Trackpad, then check "Place two fingers on the trackpad and click button for secondary click". Or, check the "Clicking" option and check the "Tap trackpad using two fingers for secondary click".

To get right-clicking on the mighty mouse I had to go System Pref > Keyboard & Mouse > Mouse and change the right side to "Secondary Button".

I'm seeing the same thing you do, that a long click only works in the dock. I'm not seeing anything in System Preferences saying anything about a long click or a click and hold.

OS X really seems to not want you to right-click, but even though I try to use the OS with its default settings, I really want the right-click.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.