Restore Reminders App Events From Time Machine

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2007 Mac Book Pro 2.2 Ghz 4 GB RAM SSD OSX 10.11 & 2006 MBP Stuck At 10.6.8
Hi All!

I apologize if the answer is in this forum, but I can't find any entries. For some reason, when I use the Search box, I get a page of random text.

I use Reminders App in El Capitan 10.11.6 and it suddenly went haywire. Instead of the normal list of reminders, i get one day's list and all the appointments are listed as Completed. When I tell Reminders that they are not Completed, they vanish.

I'd like to restore the application to its state before the explosion and put the events back- preferably from Time Machine.
But, I can't find any p-list to get overwrite. (And I'm only guessing a plist is what to get rid of.) Spotlight and Easy Find app can''t find them. Manually looking in Library didn't help, so perhaps I am looking in the wrong place.

Do any of you know where the appropriate file(s) to put Reminders back to normal and restore the events is located?

Thanks For Helping!
Paul

Reaction score
Normally when you open the Reminders app in macOS, you see a list of only your non-completed reminders. If you scroll up, you'll see a hidden top line that says "x completed" where "x" is the number of completed reminders. On the right side of that line there is a "Show" button which, when clicked, will now display ALL of your reminders, both completed and non-completed, with the non-completed ones at the the very bottom. All the completed reminders have a purple dot next to them. If you click that dot for one of them, it will mark it as non-completed and it will seem to "disappear" but in reality it's just moved to the very bottom of the list along with the other non-completed reminders. You can scroll down to see it or simply click "Hide" at the top right to hide the completed reminders.

OP
PGB1
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank You Usagora for taking time to reply and explain. I appreciate your help.

I didn't see the place to click for "Completed" at the top, but then realized that I've been in the "Reminders" view. I changed to the "Scheduled" view and there was the 'Completed" button.

Unfortunately, my Completed list was empty. I manually recreated all of the events that were is Reminders App before the melt-down. To get more familiar with Reminders App, I added test some events scheduled to complete soon and let the notifications arrive. Then the "Completed" list had the events. I see that this Completed can be a really handy list when I forget stuff. (Often!)

Since I could not figure out how to restore the events from the Time Machine backup, I'll make a habit of exporting the list once in a while incase the application goes wonky again.

Thanks Again Usagora for the education.
Enjoy This Day!
Paul

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi, Paul,

The line that says how many completed reminders you have (and also has the show/hide button) should appear whether you are on the "Reminders" view or "Scheduled" view - and it also appears even if you have no completed reminders. You have to hover the cursor over the area where the reminders actually appear (not the side bar) and scroll up using your mouse to see it. As you probably have already discerned, "Scheduled" only shows reminders that have a date and time attached to them, whereas "Reminder" includes ALL reminders.

OP
PGB1
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Jonathan for helping & explaining. You're a very good teacher.

I didn't see the "Show Hide" because, for some reason, Reminders scrolls upside-down from the rest of the applications. Huh?
In other applications, when I want to scroll the page, I two-finger the trackpad downwards to move the page up. In Reminders, it goes the other way. (Two-Finger scroll up to go up the page.)
Reminders is scrolling like OS X 10.6 & previous scroll- up equals up. I suppose it might be a 10.11.6 only quirk.

Something new has appeared in Reminders:
It now has "Scheduled" at the top of the sidebar, acting just as you described. Below it is the word iCloud. Below iCloud is where the word Reminders appears.
The word Reminders did not used to have iCloud above it. The Reminders are in iCloud, so that's pretty spiffy. (Never looked before)

Thanks Again Jonathan. I very much appreciate your help.

Enjoy This Day!
Paul

PS: I apologize for my delayed reply to your message. I have had e-mail trouble for several days. Finally today I thought of logging into the server to check mail. (Duh!) Hopefully I can fix it without pestering people here with a new post! (Hopefully...)

Reaction score
Hi, Paul,

I'm not sure why the scrolling direction would be different for only one app, but glad you were able to figure it out. Having your reminder synced to iCloud is the way to go!

OP
PGB1
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Jonathan!
I never paid much, if any, attention to iCloud until it showed up in Reminders. I've explored and find iCloud can be quite handy.
Enjoy Today!
Paul

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.