resizing photos to send as attachments on email

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac mid-2011, ipad.Air 2', iPhone 8+.
I have 10 photos in iPhoto from 1.2 to 1.7 Meg each.

I have attempted to crop them to 8 x 10s or 200 x 300 pixels but everytime I think I've done that...even tried zipping the photos...when I try and use them in an email attachment they show the original size. I want to attach 10 photos to an email but am unable to do this as pics don't seem to resize. Also iPhoto only lets me send one photo at a time to an email. Can I put the 10 photos on the desktop then attach them one at a time to the email? Or is there a n easier way?

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Bought PicResizer from the Apple store ($3.99). That worked. Still don't understand why iPhoto would not resize my photos for email attachments.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You could have used the free Preview app already on your Mac, however, the PicResizer is a good one to have also.

C

chas_m

You might feel really dumb when I tell you this, but Mail and iPhoto will resize the pictures for you.

When you add in a picture to an email, a little (and I do mean small) option appears as to whether you want to send it "small" (screen size), "medium" (bigger but still very modest in file size), "large" (bigger and larger) or "full size" (full resolution, very large file size in most cases). You have this option whether you are sending an email directly from iPhoto or in Mail.

If you hover over each size option, it will tell you the resolution of the image at that size, and of course as you can see to the left in Mail, it will also tell you the file size of the sent image at the selected size option ("Actual Size" on this image would have been 12.2MB and 4000x3000 resolution).

To wit:

Adjust-size-in-iPhoto.jpg

Adjust-size-in-Mail.jpg

Now if you need the image to be a SPECIFIC size, then something like SharpResize works fantastic for this (costs $2.45), but 99 times out of 100, "Large" or maybe "Medium" is exactly what you're looking for.

In my work I often need to resize things to exact dimensions, like the width of a blog page, so I use SharpResize every day. But when I'm sending a photo to a friend, I always use the built-in controls in Mail or emailing directly from iPhoto. Easy peasy.

And yes, that's downtown Seattle, taken during one of my trips. Great town.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
You could have used the free Preview app already on your Mac, however, the PicResizer is a good one to have also.

@ Bill - as suggested above and just to explain how to use Preview for cropping, resizing, addition of arrows, etc., if you desire (I use it on a daily basis for those basic image needs).

Click an image which should open in Preview (if that is your default image viewer), cropping is easily done by first selecting the desired area w/i the image, and then using the 'crop' icon (blue arrow in the first image).

Resizing is performed by opening the 'tool box' (blue arrow in second image), then using the resizing option (red arrow) which opens the box shown and provides numerous options.

Finally, there are many basic tools in the opened menu bar, e.g. I added the arrows w/i the app - hope this helps. Dave :)

Screen Shot 2015-01-24 at 11.58.35 AM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-01-24 at 11.58.05 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-01-24 at 11.58.05 AM.png
    399.2 KB · Views: 55
OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have the Preview .app in my applications folder, but clicking on it in the applications folder or in the dock does nothing but show the logo. I asked in another post about Preview. I also tried posting the photos ( 10 pics about 256K each) on craigslist (first time posting on craigslist) but initial add I had no pics to post. Took 10 pics about 1.2Meg each. Cropped to about 265k each with PicResizer. Tried to edit add and add pics but did not show. Tried posting new add with attached pics. Could not find new add at all although craigslist said it was posted. Frustrating.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have the Preview .app in my applications folder, but clicking on it in the applications folder or in the dock does nothing but show the logo. I asked in another post about Preview. I also tried posting the photos ( 10 pics about 256K each) on craigslist (first time posting on craigslist) but initial add I had no pics to post....

Concerning Preview, did you read the posts in your other thread (I left one) - clicking on the app does not open a blank window but should put its icon in your Dock (w/ a dot underneath) and its menu bar at the top left of your screen - from the latter you can open an image OR easier is to simply click on the image of interest which should then open in Preview (if that is your default image program) - SO, what happens if you just click on one of your images? Dave :)

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You might feel really dumb when I tell you this, but Mail and iPhoto will resize the pictures for you.

No might about it. I did try using iPhoto, but the options it gave for saving the picture did not include the desktop. I tried putting it in an album, but could not locate the album . I could send it to email, but did not have the email setup to receive the pics at the time. PicResizer at $3.99 worked. Saved pics to desktop then attached to email.
Noticed the Preview icon disappears from my dock. The size, 36.1M, next to the icon is lite grey meaning, I believe, it is not present.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
RadDave
Did read the post. With Preview icon in the dock and dot underneath, Preview is shown next to apple icon and is my default for opening .jpg. After that I can't figure out how to resize using preview. Under Preview, Preferences, there is: General, images and a PDF icon. Thats all I could find.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I beginning to think although Preview is my default, some other program is opening the ,jpg files as i do not see the menu in post #5. Nick is probably right that somehow the Preview got deleted.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My menu bar for Preview does not have the crop icon. It is there sometimes but when I try and click on it. it disappears. But If I go to Tools (in Preview) I can go to adjust size and resize the picture from there. Not sure why the crop icon disappears from my menu bar. When I go to customize toolbar, the CROP icon is not shown, so I can't add it.
Have to admit I did not know there was a menu bar for preview until 2 days ago. Couldn't figure out why the info provided me showed a menu bar I didn't have. Didn't know the Tools menu was for Preview. As you can see, many didn't knows. But Grasshopper is learning. All you Yodas out there, thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My menu bar for Preview does not have the crop icon. It is there sometimes but when I try and click on it. it disappears. But If I go to Tools (in Preview) I can go to adjust size and resize the picture from there. Not sure why the crop icon disappears from my menu bar. When I go to customize toolbar, the CROP icon is not shown, so I can't add it.

OK - let me give this yet another try - this time about how to use the 'cropping tool' which I'll illustrate w/ three screen captures:

- First image was in my 'Pictures' folder; I simply 'double-click' on it and the picture opened in Preview - note the tool bar has been opened but there is not yet showing the 'crop icon'.

- Second image - I created a selection (using the track pad on my laptop; mouse would of course also work) AND the 'crop icon' now appeared (blue arrow).

- Third image - I hit the 'crop icon' and now the image is cropped & smaller.

P.S. If you cropped an image BEFORE the tool box is opened no 'crop icon' is seen, but ONCE the tool box is opened the crop selection will remain & the 'crop icon' will be available.

Hope this helps - Dave :)

Screen Shot 2015-01-25 at 10.21.51 AM.png

Screen Shot 2015-01-25 at 10.27.22 AM.png

Screen Shot 2015-01-25 at 10.23.08 AM.png

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Tried the exact image you used. Dragged to desktop Used the mouse and Selection (blue dotted square) to outline smaller image like your second picture. No crop icon appeared. Went to Tools and found CROP. Clicked on crop and was cropped exactly as your post.
Not sure why crop icon did not appear on my menu. I also don't have a Select icon on the 'Customize Toolbar' menu to add to my preview menu.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Tried the exact image you used. Dragged to desktop Used the mouse and Selection (blue dotted square) to outline smaller image like your second picture. No crop icon appeared. Went to Tools and found CROP. Clicked on crop and was cropped exactly as your post.
Not sure why crop icon did not appear on my menu. I also don't have a Select icon on the 'Customize Toolbar' menu to add to my preview menu.

Hi again - did you read the P.S. in my last post - the 'Crop Icon' will not appear until you open the 'Tool Box' in Preview. As to your second question - are you talking about the 'Customize Toolbar' in the 'View Menu' selection in Preview? Not sure - but below are another two screen shots showing 'where' that is located and also the dialog box brought up for you to select (or delete) the items you want in the Preview Toolbox menu when opened. Dave :)

Screen Shot 2015-01-25 at 6.16.15 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-01-25 at 6.16.22 PM.png

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Don't know what Toolbox is. I have Tools in my Preview menu. Yes I was talking about the'Customize Toolbar' in the 'View Menu' . I believe I saw a 'Select' icon (looks similar to highlight icon) on a screen shot from another post or Preview info page that I viewed as an attachment.. Don't see it in toolbar menu items.
I also will be posting an apologizing to you and everyone else who have helped me on this post and my other posts on Preview for not pressing the face icon.

C

chas_m

I did try using iPhoto, but the options it gave for saving the picture did not include the desktop.

I think the problem here (generally) as regards Preview and iPhoto (and probably other things) is that you're overthinking this.

For example: if you want to copy a photo in iPhoto to the desktop, you just ... drag it to the desktop.

Noticed the Preview icon disappears from my dock. The size, 36.1M, next to the icon is lite grey meaning, I believe, it is not present.

This is incorrect. The size in light grey means simply that you have chosen (for some reason I cannot fathom) to show the size of the file next to its icon. It is showing that to you, and that information is always in light grey.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
know about dragging things from here to there. Works similar to Windows.
Didn't know about the size information always being light grey. Thanks for that info.
Since I've received much help on this post and my other posts on Resizing and Preview, I know how to crop an image, Thanks RadDave. I also found that under Tools there is resize text that will resize the photo to a size you choose. If I knew that then, I would have not bought PikResizer, but I was under pressure, to provide images of my car to buyer, so I could not wait. I need to end this post as it is 2:30AM and I am dog tired. But they did buy my car.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Don't know what Toolbox is. I have Tools in my Preview menu. Yes I was talking about the'Customize Toolbar' in the 'View Menu' . I believe I saw a 'Select' icon (looks similar to highlight icon) on a screen shot from another post or Preview info page that I viewed as an attachment.. Don't see it in toolbar menu items.
I also will be posting an apologizing to you and everyone else who have helped me on this post and my other posts on Preview for not pressing the face icon.

Hi Bill - not to worry about your last statement (bolded above) - since we are not paid for trying to help others in this forum, one perk is to increase the poster's reputation.

The 'toolbox' in Preview that I'm referring to is simply the icon (last on the row next to the search window) that, well, looks like a toolbox.

If you are continuing to have problems using Preview, you might want to learn how to post some screen shots yourself - really helps. Dave :)

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
RadDave, Regarding post number 5. I can create a selection with my mouse or using the selection icon in the menu. The selected image reads : Image opened by Double-click, and the selection image has blue dots and moving dashes from Blue dot to blue dot surrounding it. But I do not see any crop icon (Blue arrow). Is there some step I'm leaving out?
Also, clicking on the blue Toolbox icon seems to allow me to do the same thing as the Selection icon or my mouse, i.e. crop the image. What is the difference between using the Selection icon vs the Toolbox icon?
The other thing I am somewhat confused about is cropping (an image) seems to be picking a section of the image where resizing lets me keep the whole image but at a smaller size, like from 1.2 meg to 125K.
I do know now I can go to the Tools menu and click resize and that will allow me to shrink the image size. Really don't need to crop at this time, but just curious why no crop arrow shows up if I try to crop?
Also received info on how to select image in top right of post to thank people like you, but they will only let me click on one time even though many people, especially you, have helped me on this. Honestly did not know what that top right image was for until now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
RadDave, Regarding post number 5. I can create a selection with my mouse or using the selection icon in the menu. The selected image reads : Image opened by Double-click, and the selection image has blue dots and moving dashes from Blue dot to blue dot surrounding it. But I do not see any crop icon (Blue arrow). Is there some step I'm leaving out?

Bill - let me try this another time w/ some new screen captures - in the first image below, I simply double-clicked on one in my pictures folder which opens the image in Preview - note that only the 'Toolbox' (blue arrow) is shown; I next made a selection w/ my trackpad (or you can do it w/ a mouse) - again only the toolbox icon is visible; I next clicked on the toolbox and its menu bar appears along w/ the 'Crop' icon (third image); finally, by clicking on the crop icon, the image is cropped (fourth pic).

Also, clicking on the blue Toolbox icon seems to allow me to do the same thing as the Selection icon or my mouse, i.e. crop the image. What is the difference between using the Selection icon vs the Toolbox icon?
The 'Toolbox' icon does nothing EXCEPT to open the lower menu bar as shown in the third image below.

The other thing I am somewhat confused about is cropping (an image) seems to be picking a section of the image where resizing lets me keep the whole image but at a smaller size, like from 1.2 meg to 125K.

Completely different concepts - Cropping selects out a portion of the image which will obviously be smaller; a cropped image can be resize if still too large; Resizing reduces (or can also increase) the number of pixels in the image - the dimensions and the file size are smaller - the re-sizing icon is in the lower menu bar (it's a box w/ the 2 arrows - clicking on it will open a new dialog box in which file size can be changed).

Also received info on how to select image in top right of post to thank people like you, but they will only let me click on one time even though many people, especially you, have helped me on this. Honestly did not know what that top right image was for until now.

Discussed in your other thread - you need to click on the reputation icon in individual posts. Dave :)

Screen Shot 2015-01-26 at 8.08.28 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-01-26 at 8.10.11 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-01-26 at 8.11.23 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-01-26 at 8.11.31 PM.png

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.