Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5 (2019)
I have a MacBook Air with the following specs:

MacBook Air 13” Early 2015
Memory 8GB 2.2 ghz Intel i7
OSX El Capitan V10.11.6
Model MacBook Air 7,2
500 GB flash storage

I have two different power supplies and I’m uncertain as to which one that would normally go with the computer:
14.85V 3.05A
16.50V 3.65Z

I want to give this computer to my son-in-law as I have an iMac and MacBook Pro and rarely use the air machine.

Question #1: I want to reset (reformat?) the computer so that it’s as “brand new” as I can make it. All programs with all personal information & passwords, etc. to be removed. Best would be like I just picked it up at the store.

How to properly do this?

Question #2: Which one of the two power supply units is appropriate for the computer? I would rather give him the 16.50V/3.65A unit as I have several extras. I’m assuming that the “higher power” supply would not be a problem IF the normal unit is the 14.85V/3.05A?

My son-in-law has been a tremendous help in getting groceries etc. during the pandemic (older citizen here), and his old MacBook Air went kaput, so I know he would appreciate the computer.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated! THANKS!!

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Answer #1: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201065

Answer #2: Yes the higher charger is fine, it will just charge up faster. If the MBA was expecting a higher output and you use a lower output charger then it'll take much longer to charge up to 100%.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5 (2019)
Answer #1: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201065

Answer #2: Yes the higher charger is fine, it will just charge up faster. If the MBA was expecting a higher output and you use a lower output charger then it'll take much longer to charge up to 100%.
OK. All done with El Capitan O/S loaded.

One other question: the latest MAC O/S is Big Sur that I have on my own iMac.

So, shouldn't there be some sort of notification that the Big Sur "upgrade" is available for this MacBook Air?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Yes, your 2015 MBA is eligible per this list. So you will get the upgrade message at some point. But you can also just open up the App Store, go to the Big Sur option and download and do the install yourself.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.