• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Reports of 6+ bending from being kept in people's pockets

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
iPhone 6 Plus Bending Limits Tested in New Video - Mac Rumors

So the same story I keep seeing passed around is a guy at a wedding that asserts the phone was always in his front pocket, and somehow bent his phone. There is also a YouTube video of a guy putting extreme pressure on a very specific point of the phone to bend it and prove the story.

Personally, I I just don't see how it could bend the way it shows from normal, comfortable pressure in your front pocket. It seems to be the wrong angle of the bend for your front pocket, and I can't imagine putting that much force on your phone without being really uncomfortable doing so.

The first that came to mind for me when I saw the and before hearing the story was that the idiot was sitting on it, which I still believe to be true. But one would be hard-pressed to get a replacement on their $700 investment if they admitted to sitting on it, so I'm guessing the guy is indulging the facts to get a replacement.

But I'm keeping an open mind and would like to hear from folks on MF that own the 6+.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I think this might possibly be an issue for any device that small and made largely of malleable materials. So, in other words, any mobile phone. I think the odd issue here is the notion that this happens with a phone in the front pocket of one's pants. I suppose my question is "how are you sitting?" Perhaps the 6+ is large enough that leaning forward stresses the phone?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Saw a video of a person bending it in their hands and it was a permanent bend. The same person tried bending a Samsung Note 3 and while it flexed it came back to normal after letting it go with no damage. After 2 bends the Iphone 6 Plus had a bend that would not come back right where the volume buttons were on the side.

That seems to be where the weak point is. Left side just below the buttons.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I can hear people now, Bend Differently! Your holding it wrong, You are bending it wrong, your pocket is defective!

Oh and remember the nut with the blentech blender? will it Blend? He will ask, Will it BEND! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
This may not be the phone for those who like to stick them in their tight jeans.. I mean seriously, common sense here, people want thinner and wider, at some point this was bound to start happening..

My iPod touch5 is super thin and I have not had any issues with it.

OP
fleurya
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I supppose if it was caught between your hip and bottom of your pocket while bending over it could, but still you would have to be putting a LOT of force into it to make it bend from that type of pressure as opposed to the direct and focused pressure the guy in the test video is applying.

I can hear people now, Bend Differently! Your holding it wrong, You are bending it wrong, your pocket is defective!

Oh and remember the nut with the blentech blender? will it Blend? He will ask, Will it BEND! :D

I've already seen all of those employed. It's a FanDroid's dream come true. :Grimmace: Which makes it all the more suspicious.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP17 8GB/1.9TB 2xSSDs Sierra • MBA11 4/128GB • TC 2TB • TV3 • iPh6 128GB • iPadPro12
Wasn't a curved phone supposed to be the latest and greatest? ;P

Reaction score
Maybe we should ask a expert on do's and don'ts regarding the 6+

image.php

"Hey! Do I preach to you when you're a lyin' stone in the gutter?? No.... So beat it!!"

Well Received..

Last edited:

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Maybe we should ask a expert on do's and don'ts regarding the 6+

image.php

"Hey! Do I preach to you when you're a lyin' stone in the gutter?? No.... So beat it!!"

Well Received..
My avatar has never been more apt than it is right now...

Initial reports that I've read have suggested that Apple will replace the phone if it can be "proven" that the warping was caused through regular use. Apparently, Apple Store employees (Geniuses specifically) have been told how to test for this.

Reaction score
My avatar has never been more apt than it is right now...

Initial reports that I've read have suggested that Apple will replace the phone if it can be "proven" that the warping was caused through regular use. Apparently, Apple Store employees (Geniuses specifically) have been told how to test for this.

Wonder how?

OP
fleurya
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think this issue falls in a somewhat grey area. Clearly the 6+ is not as durable as most other phones of its size. But does that mean it’s flawed? Not necessarily! It just means it’s not as durable and can’t take as much stress under certain conditions. It still functions just as it should and people can use the phone indefinitely without issue.

If you look you can probably find examples of this in most other products. I think phones,, Apple phones especially, get an extra degree of scrutiny and a higher-than-reasonable level of expectation of durability from things like these so-called “drop tests”. I mean honestly, is it reasonable to expect your sophisticated electronic device to completely withstand a hard hit on a hard surface due to your own clumsiness? No. But people are thinking it should more and more.

This just seems like another step toward people taking less and less personal responsibility and shifting it onto others or businesses. Yes, the product is not as durable. But no, that is not a major flaw worthy of recall. Apple, with their great customer service, will probably be happy to replace them or refund; just like the iPhone 4. And that should be the end of it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Signature
When I bought my first iPhone--a 5s--a couple of months ago, the first thing I did was purchase an OtterBox for it. I kind of hated to since the phone looked so nice and didn't want to cover it up but I knew from what I do daily the 5s needed some protection. I have dropped it on concrete three times (once though was because I missed the belt clip) and it is still fine.

It doesn't take a genius to know that if a person sat down with something thin in their back pocket that something is going to give. Especially if the person has a ....uh.... ample rump.

OP
fleurya
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple released an official statement only 9 reported cass on bent phones! :Grimmace:

http://gizmodo.com/apple-iphone-6-plus-wont-bend-under-normal-use-only-9-1639173696#

While there may be a few more unreported cases (not many if they have access to the Internet... Which they do) probably not enough to shut down assembly lines out of maybe 5 million sold.

It sounds like what I suspected all along: a handful of morons who sat on their phones and are now falsifying facts to get a free replacement to avoid a $700+ loss in a matter of days.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.9GHz i7, 16GB DDR, 512GB, OSX 10.11.6
..snip...

It sounds like what I suspected all along: a handful of morons who sat on their phones and are now falsifying facts to get a free replacement to avoid a $700+ loss in a matter of days.

Probably so.

But, I can't see how they bend at all.
Isn't the front a piece of glass?
I'd have thought that would break/crack/snap before it bent?

Just wondering.

Reaction score
Probably so.

Just wondering.

The glass is very flexible and scratch-resistant to protect against chipping and shattering, so this special glass is one of the factors that adds to the high cost of the iPhone, and many other smart phones.

There's basic physics at work here - the thinner something becomes, the more prone it will be to bending and breaking outright - and also warping if left near a heat source. This makes a practical design limitation. The only way to overcome such a limitation would be to design something flexible.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

Just wondering.

iPhones & iPads use Gorilla Glass. A somewhat flexible, bendable, impact resistant glass.

The kind of glass you're thinking of is sapphire glass. And one of it's big advantages over Gorilla Glass is scratch resistance. But it is more brittle & non-flexible.

These two types of glass are a hotly debated topic for use in portable devices.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.