Replacing OS-X

Reaction score
Hey guys :)

A month or so ago I made a post about running the game Sonic Generations on a Mac.

I would now like to completely remove OS-X from my iMac. OS-X is awesome, but it doesn't have the support I'm looking for to play my games (Minecraft, Sonic Generations, Steam games, etc.). I would like to remove OS-X and install Windows Vista or 7.

I am currently running Mac OS-X Tiger and have no way to update it to a newer OS. So Boot Camp is out of the question. I have tried CrossOver but the software just doesn't run what I'd like it to run, such as Steam and INVedit (Minecraft Inventory Editor). Also, I can only install via an ISO as I don't have any CDs or flash drives on me. I could care less which Windows version it is - as long as it is either Windows Vista or 7; in extreme cases, maybe XP. I do have a few DVDs though (but can I install Windows via an ISO burnt to a DVD?). Please remember I am stuck with OS-X 10.4.11 and no means of updating. I would simply like a way to install Windows Vista or 7 on my Mac and [possibly] get rid of OS-X. I have even tried running Win-7 via VirtualBox, that seemed to do nothing, and it wouldn't play sound.

Here is the brief version of what I want to do:

Install Windows Seven or Vista via ISO on an iMac running OS-X 10.4.11 (Tiger) and possibly get rid of OS-X.

Thanks!
MarioMover :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Maybe you could remind us as to what exact model iMac you have…this may help us come up with some solutions.:)

You could also (if you want to) add your iMac specs to Mac-Forums profile. Then we will always know in the future your computers spec's (and won't have to ask for it).:)

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
OK, currently I am reading all of these off of my System Profiler.
Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac5,1
Processor Name: Intel Core2Duo
Processor Speed: 2 GHz
Memory: 1GB
Serial Number: W86330BAAC1
Graphics: ATI Radeon X1600

It is a model from 2006 that runs OS-X Tiger. That's all I know :p

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You may find that you're going to have a difficult time running only Windows on that machine. First of all, Windows 7 would be a slug with 1 GB of memory if it installs at all, and I wouldn't put Vista on anything, let alone a Mac. You just might be able to install XP on that machine if you could round up drivers for it. I had XP SP3 on my 2008 MacBook for awhile and it ran fairly well with the 4 GB of memory that I had on it. I also ran Windows 7 on my 2011 iMac for a time but that machine was much more powerful. I used boot camp drivers in both instances.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
It is a model from 2006 that runs OS-X Tiger. That's all I know :p

Thanks for the info. I know that you mentioned a couple times that you have "no way to upgrade it to a newer OS".

I'm not sure why this computer cannot be upgraded to a newer version of the Mac OS. Max. OS for it is OS 10.7.5 (Lion)…but you would REALLY be doing yourself a BIG BIG favor by at least running OS 10.6 (Snow Leopard).

A 10.6 install disk only costs $19.99 (maybe even less on eBay). This way you could keep OS X on the computer…AND…run Windows via Bootcamp. :)

- Nick

p.s. But like chscag mentioned. This computer could REALLY use more than 1gig of ram (a ram upgrade).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Wow!! Just taking a quick look at some of the minimum system requirements just for some of those games, I'm surprised that they even run on that iMac.

Upgrade the iMac with some memory and a later OS X and use it as a Mac machine, but if the OP wants to get serious with any of the high end games, just buy a cheap Windows gaming computer and save the frustration. And probably cheaper to go that route as well.

But what do I know, I don't do Windows or Games anyway. But geese, any modern game on a eight year old iMac is pushing things I'd suggest, and with only 1GB RAM is really pushing things. ;)

EDIT:
PS: maybe have a look at this thread and another Minecraft user and potential Mac upgrader:
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-x-apps-games/319501-minecraft-problem-2.html

Last edited:
Reaction score
actually that iMac is not supported to use and run boot camp same as the mac pro 1.1 that also has problems running windows and linux i have one of these iMacs and it won't work worth a door knocker don't bother

OP
M
Reaction score
So after reading up on the link pm-r sent me, I would like to say this.
Most games run really well. Minecraft gets me around 150 frames per second (as opposed to the 17fps posted in mentioned article). I have ALSO been able to run Sonic R in CrossOver, and that runs as smooth as butter. I can get Sonic Heroes PC through CrossOver and boot it up but it crashes every time the game loads the 3D models for the characters. I have been able to install Sonic Generations and Steam via Crossover on Mac OS-X on a newer system - a white 2009 MacBook running Mavericks. This is my school laptop and as such I can't really use it 24/7. With low graphic settings AND performance-enhancing mods, and I get maybe 15fps. I think it might be the GFX card though, because the systems that run Generations are both NVIDIA 9400GS or something and they get equal framerates. One a Mavericks MacBook and the other a Vista PC. Thanks for the help guys!

As pigoo3 mentioned, I can indeed update it, but I have no money and the next $150 I owe my parents 'cuz my school laptop needed to be fixed. But how do I do a RAM upgrade? Do I need to buy any hardware or software or anything? I really have no clue. I guess it would help. Currently I've been scanning the Net for the Boot Camp beta for Tiger (but have had no luck). Tried running Win-7 in VirtualBox - wasn't the best. Thanks for all the help and please do keep throwing me suggestions xD I really need them!

-MarioMover :)

Reaction score
the ram upgrade on a iMac is easy there is a door on the bottom of the iMac it has two screws you just undo the two screws and thats it but a warning there if you go over 4 gig's of ram by just 1 mb the machine won't boot the max ram they can go is 4 gig's dead on anything over and the machine refuses to boot this is why i recommend just going to 3 gig's of ram

Reaction score
as for the bootcamp issue like i said before apple will allow you to run windows and linux but its unstable and causes freezes and crashes and the graphics card is only 128 megs and you need a 256 meg or better card for most games this is why i wouldn't bother

OP
M
Reaction score
the ram upgrade on a iMac is easy there is a door on the bottom of the iMac it has two screws you just undo the two screws and thats it but a warning there if you go over 4 gig's of ram by just 1 mb the machine won't boot the max ram they can go is 4 gig's dead on anything over and the machine refuses to boot this is why i recommend just going to 3 gig's of ram

Thanks. But before I do anything, does this require any extra hardware? And [please] can someone clarify his directions? Thanks :)

EDIT - Which door? I see three, and they all look like speakers to me :p

Last edited:

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Check out this page for answers. At the top of the page on the right side it tells you how to find your model ID number to make sure I looked up the right iMac.

The page has current pricing for various memory configurations as well. The bottom of the page has links to installation videos and a pdf of instructions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan

Not quite correct, and most late 2006 iMacs, the 5,1 series, will boot fine with 4GB RAM installed, and besides, they can run a bit faster with the 4GB memory.

"Nevertheless, in a series of tests, site sponsor Other World Computing found that most -- but not all -- tasks are faster in these systems with 4 GB of RAM installed compared to the official maximum of 3 GB of RAM."
How do you upgrade the RAM in the White iMac "Core Duo" and "Core 2 Duo" models? How much RAM of what type do these systems support? @ EveryMac.com
[Bold mine.]

OP
M
Reaction score
So, I had an idea. I was working on finding a Skype client for OS-X Tiger, when I figured I could easily install Linux to dual-boot with OS-X. I tried a few resources, and here are a few notes:

The most successful installer was Unetbootin and Linux Mint. However, the thing said "The created USB device will not boot off a Mac. Insert it into a PC, and select the USB boot option in the BIOS boot menu." What does that mean?
Also, how do I partition Macintosh HD to give something for Linux to work with? All of the tutorials said it needed a partition in the hard drive. However, I only have my main hard drive, and it says "You cannot partition this drive" or something along those lines. It needs to be done in Disk Utility though, 'cause I can't get in to Boot Camp. How do I partition my Macintosh HD in Disk Utility and how do I create a LiveUSB with Unetbootin for Mac? Thanks :)

-MarioMover

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.