Replacing hard-drive on iBook

M

monkeyboy

Just wondering, but can you upgrade the hardrive on an iBook? I have a 20gig right now but can I replace it with a 40 or even 60 gig?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G4 800MHz 1GB RAM
I would assume this is possible, and I think I have acutally seen a place with instructions to do such a thing. I will take a look and try to find it. Shouldn't be an issue as long as they didn't hide the drive way deep inside.... I will search for the site I am talking about....

OP
H

hotlead

I assume iBooks use the same HDs as powerbooks, which are upgradeable.

My PowerBook's manual contains instructions on replacing your hard drive, whereas the iBook's manual doesn't.

The big question is whether you want to void the warranty and do it yourself ;)

I think a #8 Torx screwdriver is all you need. And the new hard drive....

OP
P

powermacg4_450

to to apples site and click on support.... there should be some doc in there explaining how to do it.... I had to open up an imac, and thats where I found info about how to do it. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" iMac 700 MHz G4 640 MB
I'm pretty sure there are instructions in this month's MacWorld. Or they may be for upgrading a PowerBook.

OP
A

arios

monkeyboy said:
Just wondering, but can you upgrade the hardrive on an iBook? I have a 20gig right now but can I replace it with a 40 or even 60 gig?

Did you find a way... I need to do it also. and inaddition copy the entire old drive to the new drive.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I believe you can replace the internal disk drive on the iBook. pbparts does the replace disk drives. You may find better prices else where. I have not found the directions on how to replace the drive as of yet.

OP
G

grich

Found the answer; but are you brave enough

monkeyboy said:
Check out this link http://uk.geocities.com/ibookupgrade; it gives step by step instructions on how to replace the hard drive. I myself just purchased a 40 gig to upgrade from my 10, but WOW, this is intense. Will check back to let you know how I made out!!! :eek:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Please do.. I am quite curious as to how it went :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G4 800MHz 1GB RAM
Yeah, there is supposed to be like 40+ screws you need get involved with in order to do what you are talking about.

Also, that link is bad. Do you have another one?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
i just took a look at the link all you need to do is erase the semicolon at the end for it to work. hopefully the author will edit it but until then your just gonna have to erase the semicolon for it to work

OP
M

MACDRIVE

Go to ifixit.com and click on 'guides' at the top left. They have excellent instructions with high resolution pictures.

Reaction score
yeh ifix it is amazing, I put a dvd drive in my ibook 600 12 inch, the directions are dummy proof, and the hdd is right next to the cd/dvd drive, it should be easy to do, just make sure you have little boxes labeled so you know what screws go where, as usual when i take somthing apart i am left with little reminders, about 10 screws that apparantly apple put in for good measure LOL who needs those screws, when my ibook falls in half at least ill know why :)

Reaction score
Wow, talk about reviving an old thread. I replaced an iBook's 30GB hard drive to a 100GB and it's working great. =D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15", 2Ghz Intel Core Duo, 2Gb, 250Gb, 10.5.2
interlaced said:
Wow, talk about reviving an old thread. I replaced an iBook's 30GB hard drive to a 100GB and it's working great. =D

I also upgraded my 30Gb ddrive to an 80Gb drive a few months ago in my 12" iBook. Took me about an hour using the ifixit.com website: http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/83.14.0.html

I used an empty ice tray to keep the screws seperated. I got that idea from this site: http://www.hardmac.com/articles/53/page1

I've had no problems. I'm going to upgrade to a superdrive over the weekend.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
'11 Macbook Pro i5 2.3 GHZ, 4GB, 10.10.4
How did that go with the 10GB to the 40GB? My G3 only has a 10GB and I want to put a 40 in there.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.