Replacement part compatibility question...

Reaction score
Hello, all. I am going to order a replacement top case that I will swap out for a friend on her MacBook, I just wanted to check here to make sure I am indeed ordering the compatible part. Admittedly, I am not an Apple/Mac person whatsoever, but I do have countless PC builds/rebuilds/repairs under my belt so I am more than comfortable going ahead with the swap.

When I run her serial number through the Apple Support site, it returns "MacBook (13-inch, Late 2009)". Using her model number and browsing AppleComponents.com, I find the following part:

applecomponents.com/items/661-5396_housing-top-case-with-keyboard-us/0000004702?pn=1&cmp=0163&per_page=30

Am I good to go with this? If so, is there another vendor that anyone could suggest other than the one I linked? Thank you all for your time and consideration.

C

chas_m

Apart from being sure this will, in fact, fix the (unstated) issue, looks good to go. I'm not sure I'd spend that much money on a 2009 MacBook, personally. A MacBook Pro, maybe.

OP
C
Reaction score
Apart from being sure this will, in fact, fix the (unstated) issue, looks good to go. I'm not sure I'd spend that much money on a 2009 MacBook, personally. A MacBook Pro, maybe.

Hello. Thank you for your reply. The problem that I am trying to fix for my friend is that she knocked over some water onto the keyboard and now only one half of the keyboard will work. All of the ports and other functionality is intact. I did see a tutorial online about how to replace they keyboard ONLY but I advised against that because who knows where else trouble might pop; better to just do it all at once.

She isn't really in the market for a new machine and any place she had gone to before coming to me had quoted her a sincerely ridiculous price (nobody less than $500, which I told her was insane)

I appreciate the reply very much.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Go to a website like powerbookmedic.com…and compare part numbers with all compatible models. Or compare the parts you have with the proper parts for the model being repaired.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.