Repairing /Finding the TSOP in trackpad cable of MacBook Pro mid 2010

Reaction score
this is the Image of trackpad cable, can someone tell where is the Palm rest sensor, in this circuit. trackpad-cable.jpg

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
What makes you think there is such a thing as a palm rest sensor? I doubt anyone outside of Apple and MAYBE authorized retailers have access to the schematics of Apple hardware to be able to tell you what chip is what. iFixIt identifies the more common components by the fact that they are designed/made by 3rd parties and are unique in their use (i.e., WiFi/Bluetooth chip, CPU, etc.)

My guess is that there is no special sensor that detects the palm other than the trackpad itself with some clever software that can determine the points of touch or area of touch to know that it's more than just your fingertips.

OP
K
Reaction score
thanks for trying to help me, actually there is a thermal sensor in this cable, I was thinking if some one out of there knows, may be some one who is would be repairing the MacBooks.
the schematics which can be found on the internet are of motherboards but not of the trackpad cable.

- - - Updated - - -

What makes you think there is such a thing as a palm rest sensor? I doubt anyone outside of Apple and MAYBE authorized retailers have access to the schematics of Apple hardware to be able to tell you what chip is what. iFixIt identifies the more common components by the fact that they are designed/made by 3rd parties and are unique in their use (i.e., WiFi/Bluetooth chip, CPU, etc.)

My guess is that there is no special sensor that detects the palm other than the trackpad itself with some clever software that can determine the points of touch or area of touch to know that it's more than just your fingertips.

thanks for trying to help me, actually there is a thermal sensor in this cable, I was thinking if some one out of there knows, may be some one who is would be repairing the MacBooks.
the schematics which can be found on the internet are of motherboards but not of the trackpad cable.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
If you know there is a thermal sensor, then you already know more than the bulk of us here. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 32GB i7 3TB & 1TB NVME OSX 13,5,1 late 2013
replace the cable to the track pad or replace the whole trackpad and cable

that way it will solve the issue

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
...replace the whole trackpad and cable

This is the route I would suggest as well. A simple/fast swap of failed part for working part.

I checked eBay and many are selling in the $15-$20 range...a bunch with free shipping.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
The TSOP is located on that cable, and on the opposite side of the image you posted. The sensor itself is pretty darn reliable. Due to the mixture of fuses, capacitors, and resistors that eventually lead to the sensor, it has a super low chance of actually failing unless it comes into direct contact with water. That's why Apple has a water sensor right next to the cable. Most of the time, people fail to seat the cable completely into the female port. You will not be able to repair the sensor! The solder Apple uses requires high heat to reflow, and will cause damage to the plastic cable before you ever get a chance to fix it. If reseating the cable doesn't work, it needs to be replaced. The trackpad itself has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with the issue. Don't waste money. Just buy a new cable if seating it doesn't cause the fans to slow their roll.

NOTE: If you are looking at errors posted from your computer, sometimes the same TSOP error can be caused by the isight camera wire. If for whatever reason the wire shorts to ground, the error pops up and the CPU/GPU fans go beast mode. Check them too.

Last edited:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
If reseating the cable doesn't work, it needs to be replaced. The trackpad itself has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with the issue. Don't waste money. Just buy a new cable if seating it doesn't cause the fans to slow their roll.

I agree. After checking eBay again...some sellers are selling just the cable. But some sellers are charging almost as much for just the cable...as other sellers are charging for both the cable & trackpad combo. I'm rather get both for a few dollars more...but OP could save a some $$ buying just the cable.:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.