Repairing a 2014 MacBook Air...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac High Sierra Mac OS 10.13.6
I have a friend who knows absolutely nothing about computers and has a non-working MacBook Air from about 2014~2015. When plugged in, all it shows is video noise on the screen (a bunch of multi-colored boxes, randomly - no text). I offered to help her out and try to get it fixed, up and running.

I've taken it to a couple of local computer repair places but they want $50 just to plug it in and tell me it's broken (which I already know). I did seem to find out that it's probably a video card problem (to start with, possibly more problems than that). The repair places I went to said that on a MacBook Air they would have to replace the complete motherboard, which apparently contains the video card as well and they said it would be at least $300 and possibly, maybe more (they never want to give an exact figure).

Is this worth fixing? I can buy a refurbished iMac at one of these stores for $250. I guess if you have to take the computer around with you and you like a light one, a MacBook Air is a good thing but that's not the case here. It's only needed for home use without traveling anywhere. It's in good physical shape, looks new to me. I wonder if someplace like OWC sells motherboards that I can replace myself or if there are any other cheaper ways to get this thing fixed and running. From what I can gather online, a working version of this computer would probably sell for between $300 and $400.

Thanks in adv for your knowledge and advice.
Bob M.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
When plugged in, all it shows is video noise on the screen (a bunch of multi-colored boxes, randomly - no text).

When you say "plugged in"...are we talking about the computer was totally off...the power button pressed...the MacBook Air booted up successfully (as far as you can tell due to the display issue)...and then all you see are the multi-colored boxes?

Could be at least three possibilities here:

* The motherboard (video hardware).
* The display itself.
* The video cable going from the logic board to the display.

Is this worth fixing? I can buy a refurbished iMac at one of these stores for $250. I guess if you have to take the computer around with you and you like a light one, a MacBook Air is a good thing but that's not the case here. It's only needed for home use without traveling anywhere. It's in good physical shape, looks new to me. I wonder if someplace like OWC sells motherboards that I can replace myself or if there are any other cheaper ways to get this thing fixed and running. From what I can gather online, a working version of this computer would probably sell for between $300 and $400.

Looks like you've done a great cost-analysis. As you can see...if it is the logic board...very rarely does it make sense to replace it...when you can get a 100% fully functioning unit for about the same price as a replacement logic board...or slightly more. Of course if you get lucky & can get a replacement logic board cheap...then it does make sense.

One thing to try (if you have what's needed)...is try plugging in an external display to the MacBook Air. This can help you determine if the issue is logic board or display/video cable related.

HTH,

- Nick

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When you say "plugged in"...are we talking about the computer was totally off...the power button pressed...the MacBook Air booted up successfully (as far as you can tell due to the display issue)...and then all you see are the multi-colored boxes?

Could be at least three possibilities here:

* The motherboard (video hardware).
* The display itself.
* The video cable going from the logic board to the display.

Looks like you've done a great cost-analysis. As you can see...if it is the logic board...very rarely does it make sense to replace it...when you can get a 100% fully functioning unit for about the same price as a replacement logic board...or slightly more. Of course if you get lucky & can get a replacement logic board cheap...then it does make sense.

One thing to try (if you have what's needed)...is try plugging in an external display to the MacBook Air. This can help you determine if the issue is logic board or display/video cable related.

HTH,

- Nick

Hi Nick,
Thanks for your reply. When I say "plugged in" I mean connecting the AC power cord and adapter to the wall AC socket on one end and the other end to the power in, on the side of the MacBook Air in question so I can turn on and/or power up the computer.

This computer then shows no text or startup routine whatsoever; just a jumble of colored boxes, randomly placed on the screen. And the computer doesn't do anything beyond this. It's basically broken, not working.

You're right, I could sub in another video display of some sort to ascertain if it's the video screen itself or the video card that's the problem but I don't have access to another display to do that right now.

I've seen utube instruction videos of how to disassemble this particular computer and it seems like most of the stuff is on one big logic board (or motherboard). Most repair shops say that this logic board will most probably need replacement and the cost of the board plus the labor to replace it will run about $350~$450 depending where one takes it for repair. This seems more than this older computer is worth. I think the one idea I had is to possibly find a logic board online and if the price is right, buy it and replace it myself (it seems a moderate to semi-difficult operation but within my skill-set). The other idea is to buy the logic board and take it to a repair shop and have them do it. One guy quoted me $125 to swap out the boards and get the machine running.

Your troubleshooting seems just great and I'll probably do some disassembly and make sure all internal cables are connected and seated correctly before going to the next step. But realistically, I'm prepared to tell my friend that it's time for a new computer, which I think will turn out to be the most cost-effective thing for her.

Thanks again,
Bob M.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You're right, I could sub in another video display of some sort to ascertain if it's the video screen itself or the video card that's the problem but I don't have access to another display to do that right now.

I'm sure you have a TV around the house? With the proper cable/adapter a TV can be used to troubleshoot video problems.

But realistically, I'm prepared to tell my friend that it's time for a new computer, which I think will turn out to be the most cost-effective thing for her.

Probably best to get her a new or newer MBA as that will save you and her time and possibly additional repairs. You really have no idea what else could be wrong with that machine until you have it up and running with a new logic board.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, I'm considering a new logic board but from the research I've done, that could run about $300~450, depending and probably more than this 2015 MacBook Air is worth. I think I will, first, disassemble the computer and make sure all the connections/connectors plugged into the logic board are really solid and see if that helps. One of my repair philosophies is to do the easy/simple stuff first. One little wire or connector not properly connected could potentially be the whole problem. If that doesn't yield results, I think I'll just rid myself of this computer.
Thanks for the assistance,
Bob M.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.