Renaming Images on MacBook Pro

Reaction score
I'm trying to upload images of the artisan jewelry I create for a juried art show. They have requested that images be named like so, my, businessname.image#.jpg

I've renamed my images as they have directed but when I upload the files to their site the file names just appear IMG_1234.jpg or whatever image number they were originally.

Am I missing a step after renaming them, I don't see anywhere that asks to save the new name and the new name appears under the images and in the information in the margin.

What am I not doing or doing wrong?

If this query is in the wrong category please put it where it should be.

Thanx,
MM

Last edited:
Reaction score
Ok here is what you do.

go to the file for example: jewel.jpg

Click the text of the file name once sometime twice depending on version of o.s it should turn to a white box delete the text and place in your own name then press enter on your keyboard.

now if this doesn't work right click the image select get info once the window appears select the drop down menu named name & extension you will see it in the get info window and change the text there.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I've renamed my images as they have directed but when I upload the files to their site the file names just appear IMG_1234.jpg or whatever image number they were originally.

Tell us how you renamed the images and how you're selecting those files to upload them? If the images have been renamed and the "renamed" images are then uploaded, the names you gave them should be what's received on the other end.

OP
M
Reaction score
No such luck for me Johnodd2.

chscag, renamed - endivaartisan.Image1.jpg

Originally it was image_3620.jpg

I am trying to upload by clicking on the "choose file" button on their site form.

So chscag, you are saying even though the original name appears to be uploaded to me the renamed, name will appear to them? I emailed the file to myself earlier to check and it said the original file name, not the renamed name.

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
No, what I'm getting at is either the rename didn't save properly, or when you uploaded the images, you uploaded the original unchanged ones. There is no way that if a file name has been changed properly and it's uploaded, that it would revert back to the old name. That's gremlins if it's happening!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I didn't notice the answer to how you renamed the images or where, but are you doing the image renaming using the Finder or within some photo app or utility…??

C

chas_m

You're probably renaming the photos within iPhoto, which keeps such renaming only to its own database for compatibility reasons.

If you are doing this from iPhoto, here's the correct procedure:

1. Drag the selected photo(s) out from iPhoto and onto the desktop. This makes a copy of the images.
2. Rename the images on the desktop to whatever you need to name them to. Remember to KEEP the file extension (.jpg or whatever it is).
3. Upload the renamed files from the desktop.
4. Delete the renamed files from the desktop after they have been uploaded.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.