Removing Unwanted Network Names

Reaction score
I've done several searches on this subject, but, unfortunately, I haven't found an effective solution...and the only thing that comes to mind is that there may have been some changes to OSX or macOS versions that affect a possible fix?

We have an older MacBook Pro 17 that still operates well via macOS 10.12.X. The issue at hand is that we keep receiving wifi network names from nearby printers and neighboring wifi networks, some with names we would rather not have children see on a regular basis, that seem to linger on. I've gone through both active HP printers in the house and have turned off any and all network functions, but we still get HP printer network names on our wifi list. As for the neighbor's wifi network names, I'm looking for a way to block them from our list.

We've also tried, several times, to follow this path: System Preferences | Network | WiFi | Network Name, but the dialog box that appears when one of the subject networks is selected from the list seems to have only one possible solution, which is to uncheck the "Remember this network" option/box and, afterword, to click on the Cancel button/control.

Is macOS 10.12.X designed to "remember" all scanned networks (even if they're inactive)? If so, is there a way to manually remove those from the "detected wifi network" list? As for the neighbor's basement occupants, is there a way to block their active wifi network names from appearing on the detected network list?

Thank you very much for your time.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Not sure I understand.... why can't you just not select or click on "other networks" from your WiFi icon in the menu bar? Mine only shows my networks, my iPhone, and my wife's iPhone. No other networks appear unless I click on "other networks".

If you mean to remove all the SSIDs (names) from "other networks", that is not possible. You could I suppose just remove (not show) the WiFi icon in your menu bar, but then that removes everything from view including your networks.

OP
O
Reaction score
chscag ~ I wasn't aware of any options. When I click on the "WiFi" (the baseball diamond) icon, I always see a list of every network our machine picks up...including some that I thought were inactive. I also see a "Join Other Network..." option at the bottom of the drop down menu, but I'm not aware of ever activating it.

The Baseball Diamond Icon >>> Screen Shot 2021-10-21 at 7.23.39 PM.png

Bottom of Drop Down Menu >>> Screen Shot 2021-10-21 at 7.25.02 PM.png

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Take a close look at the screenshot above, especially at the WiFi dialog. Notice that at the bottom of the dialog it states "other networks". If you click on that it will show all other networks that your Router can "see".

You can also open Network Preference from System Preferences, and remove the check from the box that says "Show WiFi status in menu bar".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Did you see this article?

OP
O
Reaction score
Take a close look at the screenshot above, especially at the WiFi dialog. Notice that at the bottom of the dialog it states "other networks". If you click on that it will show all other networks that your Router can "see".

You can also open Network Preference from System Preferences, and remove the check from the box that says "Show WiFi status in menu bar".
chscag ~ First things first, that's a very nice screenshot of a very nice desktop. Yes, I see the WiFi dropdown and the "Other Networks" option below your "Preferred Networks" listing.

Although the dropdown menu I get when I click on the baseball diamond (WiFi) icon looks downright ancient when compared to yours, I assure you that I have no "Other Networks" option in our version macOS Sierra (10.12.6).

When I go to Network Preferences, which I found via the "Open Network Preferences..." option shown in the screenshot I attached to Post No. 3 of this thread, I see the "Show WiFi status in menu bar" stand alone checkbox option. When I remove the check from said box, however, the baseball diamond (WiFi) icon disappears from my desktop. Needless to say, this makes it difficult for children to see the foul labeling chosen by the CHUDD living next door, but it also makes it very difficult for us to move from our home LAN to the wireless internet network I'm employing as I type this.

Perhaps there's no way to block known WiFi networks when detected by macOS 10.12.X?

Thank you kindly for your time and effort.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Perhaps there's no way to block known WiFi networks when detected by macOS 10.12.X?

Unfortunately, with the version of macOS you're on (Sierra) that option I displayed is not available. And, as you say, removing the WiFi icon from the menu bar while it would work, would make it very inconvenient for joining your network.

There may be another way but it would depend on the router you have and your internet provider who supplies your feed. Some routers through their internal firmware have the ability to block unwanted networks.

Whatever you come up is not going to be perfect and will likely result in inconveniences.

I'm assuming by the way, that you have considered using an ethernet connection rather than WiFi? Using ethernet easily solves the problem but you lose the convenience of WiFi.

OP
O
Reaction score
Did you see this article?

ferrarr ~ That's a very informative article you linked me to, but, if you take a look at the Select Version dropdown at the top of the article, you will see that the OS version this article is predicated on is macOS Big Sur 11.0.X. As I mentioned in the original post (OP), we have an old MBP 17 running via macOS Sierra 10.12.X.

Why are we using an OS that was replaced 5 years ago? We're using it because it works well with the old stand alone version of MS Office for Mac 2011 that we purchased when we purchased this machine. The next version of OS, after Sierra (10.12), was called High Sierra (10.13.X). It has been tried on another MBP in our office and, unfortunately, MS Office for Mac 2011 will not function in that OS environment.

Regardless, I thank you for giving this issue your kind attention. (y)

OP
O
Reaction score
Unfortunately, with the version of macOS you're on (Sierra) that option I displayed is not available. And, as you say, removing the WiFi icon from the menu bar while it would work, would make it very inconvenient for joining your network.

There may be another way but it would depend on the router you have and your internet provider who supplies your feed. Some routers through their internal firmware have the ability to block unwanted networks.

Whatever you come up is not going to be perfect and will likely result in inconveniences.

I'm assuming by the way, that you have considered using an ethernet connection rather than WiFi? Using ethernet easily solves the problem but you lose the convenience of WiFi.
chscag ~ We've been MBP people since 2011, so we've adapted our "computing" to being fairly mobile. When we have an issue with a [work] laptop PC, which happens frequently, we simply move our MBP in and solve the problem. This is just one example of why we made the move away from PCs and into MBPs. Another example is when we're working outdoors and run into a problem that requires some research. Needless to say, it's very convenient to simply unplug a MBP, move it outside and connect wirelessly to the internet. Not that I'm complaining, but the ASUS router we chose emits a very powerful signal that the MBPs can pick up from a very impressive range. On the other hand, all of our entertainment media is being converted/transitioned to digital files, so the internal LAN we have here sees regular duty, as well...but I digress.

I understand what you're saying. You always give something to get something. I'm an overseas vet who's close to retirement age, so I'm very familiar with that axiom. In closing, it would seem that there are fewer options available to us under our outdated OS, so blocking the "noise" being generated from the basements around us will require some serious updating.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
so blocking the "noise" being generated from the basements around us will require some serious updating.

A very good and, sadly accurate, account of your situation. The digital age does not take prisoners and modern computing requires us to "keep up to date" or be left behind.

And yet, here in our Forums, there are many who are quite content to be "left behind" because their system works as stated after many years of use and suits their current practice.

Good luck to you.

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.