Removing Taboola from Chrome

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Most of the links for removing Taboola have to do with it infecting PCs but I did find some instructions for removing from a Mac: Remove Taboola from Mac

My goodness, some of those hits certainly do look familiar… ;)

- Patrick
==========

OP
hughvane
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Firstly, thanks for the effort you continue to go to, but ....

Have you tried either of these???:
http://macsecurity.net/view/115/

This is outdated, unfortunately, and unless I'm missing something, there is no Reset function in the latest Safari (10.0.3) with Sierra.

No sign of Taboola in Applications, that would be far too uncomplicated :) My bet is it's tucked away in a browser library file under a name that bears no resemblance to its actual identity.

I thought you had gotten rid of it previously from your post of using my suggestion of using Find Any File.app.

By sleight of hand, or blunder, I did get rid of Taboola from OS Snow Leopard (used on other machines), but for the life of me I can't remember what I might have done, FAF or otherwise, it just stopped being there.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I recently became disgusted with all the taboola ads I was seeing in Chrome - I use Chrome for sites that require Flash. Pretty sure it was Ghostery where I found a block for them. I just turned on every switch available on a site I was visiting and then experimented with turning back on until I found what was required for videos to work - this was happening on a whole bunch of news sites both U.S. and UK.

Last edited:
OP
hughvane
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
I use Chrome for sites that require Flash. Pretty sure it was Ghostery where I found a block for them.

Thank you Tom. The one thing I am wary of with Ghostery is its own statement "It can read and change all your data on the websites that you visit". It does not say that it WILL do so (regardless), nor how and why it can. That concerns me.

Did you experience any problems following the use of Ghostery, eg. login details, private & secure information, etc?

I've already reset Chrome of everything, thus have had to reenter a range of details at a number of sites in order to use the browser as before, but it hasn't got rid of Taboola. Safari 10 doesn't provide a Reset function any more ?.

Cheers ... hugh

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
If you have Onyx installed you can clear a lot of the potential problems areas in Safari by going to Cleaning>Internet and selecting the areas you want to clear.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
With Safari closed, you can hold "shift" down and open Safari.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.