Removing Shaoeshifter

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone X, Watch 3, '18 MBP w/touchbar, '17 iPad Pro 10.5
I downloaded shapeshifter and tried it out. I no longer have any use for it. When i go to trash it, it says that "the operation cannot be completed because the application is in use." When i look in my activity monitor, there is no process named shapeshifter. I now have shapeshifter sitting in my trashcan, but I am unable to get rid of it. What can I do to get rid of this?

Reaction score
Go to System Prefs ans see if it is listed in the "Other" section ... if so Ctrl/Right - Cick on it and select 'Remove ... etc'

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks guys. I finally got it uninstalled. Apparently I am not alone in trying to uninstall it. Found complaints and questions all over the internet about it. Anyway, after 4 spotlight searches for remnants of this intrusive program, and 4 restarts I think I finally got it all. Thanks again. Learned my lesson.

Reaction score
Out of curiosity and as I don't have ShapeShifter installed ... was it in the Sys Prefs -> Other ?? Or the Apps folder ... I just couldn't recall ....

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It was in the sys-prefs, with files scattered throughout my system, there were gui files, images, documents, and cookies in safari, opera and firefox. I thought I had it uninstalled yesterday, but this morning when i started-up my macbook, I got a screen from them asking for a donation. So, I had to hunt down every last remnant of this thing. There were 26 different items in my spotlight search having something to do with shapeshifter in all different areas of my system, it also had downloaded an application enhancer program. The actual program itelf was in the system preferences pane, but wasn't uninstallable from there. Had to do a lot of digging and restarting.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
How did you uninstall it? I'm pretty sure that the installer has an uninstaller with it.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Had to re-istall the installer, then run the built-in uninstaller, then go through the harddrive and mop-up all the remnants. Then hunt down the cookies. Then uninstall the app enhancer program it downloaded and mop-up those remnants as well.

Reaction score
I don't like the sounds of that, very Windows-esque. I bought Shapeshifter but I rarely ever use it.

Reaction score
Some programs have a seperate uninstaller in the .dmg that usually gets trashed after installation.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
seems my instincts to stay away from it have been justified. ;)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
seems my instincts to stay away from it have been justified. ;)

Yep, sounds like a real pain to get rid of. Guess it really depends on if you want an app like shapeshifter in the first place. I do have it installed, and use it on a regular basis to change my themes. In actual use (almost 3 months now), have not had any issues with the program, although have not tried to uninstall it.

Personally, have found that most apps leave something behind and especially when you're dealing with one that integrates itself into the system files to do it's work.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't like the sounds of that, very Windows-esque. I bought Shapeshifter but I rarely ever use it.
For what it is designed for, it is an excellent program. I simply no longer had a use for it. I didn't think about until cjay said it, but yes it IS a very window-esque program. It did remind me why I am now a mac user instead of windows. My wife who has a vista laptop was laughing me the other night while I was hunched over my macbook cursing trying to get rid of that thing. She got to use the old "I told you so" line. She insists my infatuation with my macbook is unjustified.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.