Remove Lion

Reaction score
I have a brand new iMac that came with Lion already installed. Don't Like Lion and I want my Leopard back. I managed to get Lion off and during the process erased the recovery drive. Now when I try to boot up I just get a black screen with command threads. I will not take my Leopard disk,s at all, Can anyone suggest a fix? All I want to do is use Leopard instead of Lion. Mostly since 90% of my software will not work in Lion.

Dave

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The fix is to reinstall Lion. You new iMac will not work with any other version of OS X prior to Lion. If your current software is PPC coded and will not work with Lion, then upgrade your software to versions (if possible) that will work with Lion. Many of us have had to do the same thing. Myself included.

OP
D
Reaction score
Wow, That really sucks. I have had Mac's since the late 1980's and if they are going to take away my freedoms to use older versions of various software, then it's time to move back to a PC. Some of the new versions are not always better. I still have a system running OS 7.6 because of the software on it. I also like my Final Cut 7 suite and the older iMove rather than the new ones

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What can I tell you? Time and progress move forward not backward. Apple is all about moving forward. I didn't like it either having to replace some of my apps and losing some that could not be replaced, but I decided that I would live with it and move along with Apple. Going back to a PC is not the answer since even MS has made a lot of older Windows software obsolete with Windows 7 and now Windows 8.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" iMac i5 2.9 Ghz, 15" MBPro i7 2.0 Ghz, iPhone 5, iPhone 4s, ATV2, ATV3, iPad2, iPad Mini
Time to Move On

What can I tell you? Time and progress move forward not backward. Apple is all about moving forward. I didn't like it either having to replace some of my apps and losing some that could not be replaced, but I decided that I would live with it and move along with Apple. Going back to a PC is not the answer since even MS has made a lot of older Windows software obsolete with Windows 7 and now Windows 8.

Plus One Chscag,

I do not understand why some users think that technology will stand still because it will not.
Moving onto newer technology/software is part of the computer marketplace and unfortunately some people spend more time trying to avoid moving on, than it might have took to find new workflows or software.

Just my 2 cents.

Respectively,
DavidH

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Now ten months after the introduction of Lion, one would think a buyer looking at this operating system would know PowerPC support is finished.

OP
D
Reaction score
Going back to PC was just my frustration talking at the time. I agree that we do need to move forward I would just like to have the option of doing so with what and when. I was able to delete Lion and the recovery partition and now I have a new computer that I can't even restore Lion.
Thanks for the replies.
Dave

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
Buy a snow leopard disk for 29 dollars and then download lion for another 29 dollars(if you want).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Buy a snow leopard disk for 29 dollars and then download lion for another 29 dollars(if you want).

That won't work as its a brand new Mac that shipped with Lion. Snow Leopard won't do him any good.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.