Remote Management Folder

Reaction score
If I delete the Remote Management folder (Systems/Library/CoreServices/Remote Management), will it cause any operational problems?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
It is not advisable to delete key components of OS X. The folder takes up 7.1MB of storage on my Yosemite system. Why would you even consider doing this?

OP
A
Reaction score
I dated a guy who was a programming genius, and a couple of weeks after we broke up I lost control of my Mac. I lost control of my mouse, ability to download documents, and many other functions.

I also believe that whoever installed these programs accessed the camera app and could physically see me. This has been going on for 2 years and despite my attempts to remove the software, no success.

Over the last 2 years I have progressively lost my internet business and life because I was simply unable to work. The one thing that remained untouched was all my banking and money, otherwise everything else was fair game.

During the last 2 years I, or hired experts, also erased the hard drive 3 times, and nothing worked to remove this software. Last Friday (17 April), the day before I was to move out of my apartment for non-payment of rent, whilst on the subway I came across a post from a guy who gave instructions to erase hard drive via Terminal.

He said it was very invasive but effective. So I gave it a try and when it did a Command R start up and continued with an additional erase, I could see that everything was deleted. Not one file remained. Nothing!

After reloading the OSX and upgrading to Yosemite, I found my Mac was back to normal. The other strange thing, was when I reloaded Windows Office for Mac directly from the MS server, I did not automatically get Windows Remote Desktop Connection program. During the last 3 erases, each time I reloaded Windows Office, Windows Remote Desktop Connection would also download. In my ignorance, I thought this came automatically with the package, but apparently not.

As you can imagine, I am now super paranoid and carry my lap top around with me as I understand that most programs of this type need to be added in manually (which means someone broke into my apartment to do this!).

Can you now understand why I would like to remove all possible options to remove anything that could even allow this to happen again?

Adrienna

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
As Razor said above, its not advisable to remove anything to do with the System. If this person installed something on your Mac, then they wouldn't be silly enough to put it in a System Remote Management folder, that is easily traceable.
You mentioned you did 3 erase and installs. If you completely erased the HD on the first attempt, then there would to have been a 'spy' program on the Mac. Once you erase the HD, you have removed the OS, and the Operating System is needed for this thing to work, so you would have been safe on the first erase. They then would of needed physical access to your Mac to reinstall this malicious software.

I truly hope all things are good now, and good luck in the future.

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks Tattooed Mac,

You're exactly right about questioning whether the last 3 erases were 'complete', hence the erase I did last Friday. FYI, here is a link to the OSX Daily post I found: Deleting the Mac OS X 10.7 Lion “Recovery HD” Partition | OSXDaily

I had no idea what I was doing or if it would work, and it's amazing how the emotion of 'desperation' can drive you to try risky things. Yet it worked. For the first time I found the Disk completely empty, something I had not found in the previous 3 erases. I also believed that the OSX needed these files that would not delete.

Well, not until I deleted them and found I could still rebuild the OSX from nothing. Also during the last week, I came across this guy, Jeff Browning: (it's a typo error, he means how to hack a Mac in 30 minutes, not seconds).

Jeff actually provides tons of guidance on how to create 'pranks' which may be fun except if you are on the receiving end. My Mac also once 'talked' back me and it really messes with your head!

The good news is my Mac is back to normal, my landlord accepted my request to let me stay and I'm in the process of re-starting my internet business.

However I really need to point out how difficult it was getting anyone to believe me, and to get the right advice or guidance. Most people were baffled by the concept that someone could be so dedicated for so long to create such havoc for no apparent reason.

Thanks for your replies and I'll leave folder where it is. Except I've decided to carry my 15" Macbook Pro around with me - crazy isn't it? and will do for some time...

Adrienna

Last edited by a moderator:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.