Remote Desktop Connection port number?

Reaction score
Hello there,
I am facing a problem using Remote Desktop Connection... I have done all the settings required to allow my PC to be connected to by my mac... One thing that I'm stumbling on is trying to find the software's port number that would fit with mac... I have talked with Linksys and they told me that 3389, which is the port number that I'm using, is only for PC users. That is why I can't connect to my PC when I'm connecting to a network other than the one the PC is connected to. So, Does anyone have any idea what the software's port number for Mac is?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2Ghz MacBook (4Gb RAM) + Dual 3.2 Xeon MacPro (16Gb RAM) + iPod Touch 32Gb
Are you trying to connect to your PC using Microsoft RDC for Mac? The default port RDC uses is 3389, which can be changed in the registry on a Windows based machine, but I think it's hard coded on the Mac to 3389.

This may say more.

I use it all the time at home and at work for connect to Windows based computers and servers, and it works fine. You will have to activate it on the Windows PC (right-click My Computer, Properties, Remote Tab, "Allow users to connect remotely to this computer"), and if coming in through a firewall add Port Redirection under NAT for TCP Port 3389 pointing to your PC. You would then need to point your RDC software to your WAN address, rather than your local LAN address.

Hope that helps

Horness

OP
A
Reaction score
thank you Horness for the response
one thing I couldn't understand is when you said "You would then need to point your RDC software to your WAN address, rather than your local LAN address."

can you calrify more please?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2Ghz MacBook (4Gb RAM) + Dual 3.2 Xeon MacPro (16Gb RAM) + iPod Touch 32Gb
thank you Horness for the response
one thing I couldn't understand is when you said "You would then need to point your RDC software to your WAN address, rather than your local LAN address."

can you calrify more please?

Like fishepa said - go to that site and it will tell you what IP address the rest of the world see's your connection as.

Networks have 2 sides, the LAN (Local Area Network) and the WAN (Wide Area Network), both of which have different IP addresses.

Your LAN IP address cannot be routed outside on the internet, which is why you have a WAN IP as well. By setting up "Port Forwarding" under NAT on your router, when your router see's incoming traffic on port 3389 (i.e. you trying to connect remotely) it passes it straight to the LAN IP address you specify, like a portal, or open doorway. Without this port being "open" the router will not know where to send it. Without knowing your WAN IP, the remote PC will not know how to connect to your computer at home.

Reaction score
Are you trying to connect to your PC using Microsoft RDC for Mac? The default port RDC uses is 3389, which can be changed in the registry on a Windows based machine, but I think it's hard coded on the Mac to 3389.

This may say more.

Horness

It not hard coded. If you change the port, On Desktop Remote Connect for Mac you want to connect by entering the IP address of the computer (or the WAN IP the computer is on with the router set up for port forwarding) followed by a colon ":" and the new port number. For example:

192.168.0.122:3300

if you used changed the port number to 3300. This allows to have several Windoze on the same network and you can connect to any of them.

Does anyone know how to find all the port numbers in use on the Windows cpu so you don't duplicate a port when choosing a new port number?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.