Remind me why I switched...please?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2007 Macbook
Hi there. I switched to Mac six years ago and have since owned three Mac laptops. My most recent purchase, a 2007 MacBook, is currently not powering. Apparently, the problem's either the logic board or the port that connects the adapter to the battery. I've got an appointment at the Apple store to try a fix involving the latter problem tomorrow. I have this nagging feeling, though, that I need a new logic board...and of course I failed to register my Apple Care ID...and I can't find the little Apple Care box with the number in it or my receipt from the Campus Computer Store, where I bought it, to PROVE I have Apple Care. Because, well, because that's just how I roll, I guess. :[

Here's where I'm struggling: 1.) I get the sense that this MacBook is in decline. I'm not sure if it's worth it to sink a lot of money into repair if I'm going to have to turn around and buy a new computer a few months from now. 2.) If it does make better sense to cut my losses now and invest in a new computer, I'm having a lot of trouble justifying a new mac...to myself and my family, all of whom suggest I just grab a cheap netbook and go about my business. I have to admit I'm feeling sorta tempted.

So, Mac loyalists, could you help, please?

Would you be willing to weigh in on whether YOU would repair, even if it's the logic board, or not? And, more important, would you mind assisting me in mourning my mac losses and maybe even rekindling the Apple romance? I don't want to invite a "why mac is better" thread, truly, but I honestly can't remember what it was like to have a PC those many years ago. All I know right now is that my partner has a Sony Vaio and hasn't had to buy a new power adapter every 3 months or replace her computer every two years. Also, I'm tired of Adobe Flash Player on Mac; I want to watch Hulu without Firefox crashing. AND, I want to get programs like Silverlight for Netflix (and Google Chrome, although not really :)) as soon as they're ready, not months down the road, when folks get around to developing for the mac OS. AND, I can't leave my Sprint contract/get an iPhone, and I'm sick of Missing Sync messing up my Moto Q syncs. AND, I'm poor, and I'm afraid to shell out a minimum of $900 when I know I could get something cheaper over there on the dark side.

So, help. Tell me happy things about my MacBook or the new MacBook Pros. Pretty please? Or, horror stories about PCs? Anything? I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance. Hope this is ok to post.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 12" 1.33 GHz 768 MB OS X 10.5.8
I think you should determine the cost of the repair, compare that to purchasing either a new/used PC and Mac and buy or fix according to your current economic situation. Long-term considerations that you mentioned, like which OS suits your requirements and desirements better, are also important but secondary to the economics. If the economics were equal or not a factor, then your requirements would be the primary consideration.

Sometimes you can't afford romance and have to settle for what works without the emotional attachment.

C

chas_m

The Campus store may be able to help you by checking their records of your purchase and issuing you a new receipt. Your credit card company may also be of help.

Assuming you can get that worked out, you're likely to get a replacement logic board or possibly a new computer, so that will solve that problem.

But if you think you're having problems with Flash and Silverlight now, just wait till you get "a cheap netbook." There's a reason why you never see one playing video in any of their ads if you get my drift and I think you do.

Just BTW: to the best of my knowledge, Silverlight is on par on both platforms. I could be wrong about this (I am not about to ADD ms programs to my computer anytime soon).

So, apart from those issues, your other main concern appears to be that Missing Sync kinda sucks. Not Apple's fault really, complain to the maker (and I'll remain diplomatic about the choice of phone).

For me, the real value of a Mac lies in OS X; it is that which makes Windows look ugly and intolerably complicated. It's not a matter of what you're "used to" so much as it an objective matter of the number of steps involved to get something accomplished. On Windows, it is ALWAYS *more.*

If I couldn't use Mac OS X, I'm not sure a computer would hold as much interest for me. I certainly wouldn't spend as much time on it.

Secondly, as someone who appreciates art and its values, I could never live with a computer that disrespects fonts and graphics the way Windows does. XP was actually PAINFUL to see; it looked like Playschool OS with its primary-colour disguise, inferring simplicity where there wasn't any. Vista is certainly easier to look at, until you notice how much space it wastes on non-essential information.

I can always think of some example problem where the solution would be just to get a cheap PC and "knock it out," but that's like saying that you'll become a millionaire if you just work a minimum-wage job for 300 years. There's a much more direct path to elegance, luxury and the pleasure of focusing on the work rather than the skunkworks, and while it does come at a small premium, I've always found that "premium" to be miniscule compared to the productivity enhancement I get in return.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac OS X; Version 10.6; 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4GB; HDD 500GB
I have the only MacBook Pro in my office within a Windows based network. Today, all computers at work were crashed and nothing was working after a terrible "virus" attack. A Windows based PC is so slow that it gets on your nerves.. I'm only using a MacBook Pro since 4 months now and I never regret a cent I spent on it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.