Reinstalling mac mini from disc

Reaction score
Hi all; newbie here after a little advice
My mac mini (mid '11, Yosemite, intel i5) has been getting slower and slower to almost stopping point. I've tried the usual; PRAM, reboot, first aid, Onyx, etc and still getting nowhere so I decided to get a disc OSX copy (Snow Leopard) to reinstall and update from there.
However it won't let me reboot from disc, and if I try to run the disc in normal finder it is saying 'You cant use this version of the application 'Install Mac OS X' with this version of OS X'.

Any help? I'm guessing my mac has got clogged up; all i need it for is onterent and running logic.
All advice gratefully recieved

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
You can't run a version of OS X older than what came installed on the mac. Yours came with 10.7. Do you have a Time machine backup or USB installer you made previously?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
How full is the hard drive and how much memory is installed?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mac mIni *2013 macbook air *2011-itouch G4 32 gb (new repair projects:iMac G4 2002* imac g5 2007*
i am concerned about this as well, My mac Mini 2013 did not include an OS in the box, i guess snowpolecat was the original, then upgraded to mavericks- hopefully we can switch back incase i want more GBs than the 500GB.
i know sometime erasing the drive and reformatting helped with Tiger on an G4 i rebooted.

C

chas_m

Hi all; newbie here after a little advice
My mac mini (mid '11, Yosemite, intel i5) has been getting slower and slower to almost stopping point.

Sounds like the drive is failing, or is overly full perhaps. Trying to reinstall the system is classic Windows thinking, but I doubt it would have any effect at all (not that you can put Snow Leopard on a mid-2011 MM anyway).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.