Reinstallation of Mavericks

Reaction score
hi all, i have tried to use the recovery to reistall my mavericks but sadly it show its not available in app store. Have can i recover my osx? by using trumbdrive to run mavericks?

Please help thank you all

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Does Mavericks "download" not show in your App Store "Purchases" tab??

Do I dare ask why you need to reinstall it??

But you do have a backup don't you. :D

OP
C
Reaction score
hi pm, the mavericks dont load thats y i need to reinstall.. i have the .dmg file but i dont know how to reinstall from file. i got access to recovery only.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What's the .dmg file you have?

My "Install OS X Mavericks.app" I saved from a download is 5.34GB in size if that helps and I didn't bother compressing it.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
What .dmg file? Mavericks installer does not come from the App Store as a .dmg file where did you get it?
You need to distinguish between the OS and the installer they are not the same thing.
You can run Mavericks off a thumb drive (would be a bit slow) but you can't install it from that.
You have two options, buy the installer on a thumb drive from e.g. ebay (not legal) and may cause problems later on.
Or upgrade to Yosemite. If you can run Mavericks you can run Yosemite. Just be aware there may be some apps you have that may not be compatible with Yosemite. You can check that on each app's web site.
Either way you need a BackUp as pm-r suggests or risk losing everything.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmmm…???
"You have two options, buy the installer on a thumb drive from e.g. ebay (not legal) …"

The jury seems to be undecided on that point that I believe I read a Moderator commented on lately saying the opposite.

Also, if that .dmg file is just a compressed file of the "Install OS X Mavericks.app", one just needs to copy it to the Mac at most and open it and uncompress it and run it.

Last edited:

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Pm-r I agree the jury still seems to be out on the subject of legality and there are people with a better grasp of the EULA than I but I do know that when you download an OS from the App Store it is attached to your purchase history and your account is identified. So buying it from another source means that it is possible for Apple to identify that this app came from another account. Could they apply a penalty for this? Good question. Either way if the OP downloaded it from the App Store it will be in his purchases and can be downloaded again. He may have to "show hidden" but it will be there.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.