reinstall or boot OS from the CD?

Reaction score
Hey.. Forgive me for my lack of knowledge on the subject but could someone please offer advice for my broken G4 ibook?

It freezes about 2 minutes after the start up screen and has become non-functional for every day use. I have tried to delete files, and even some of the biggest programs i have but it still keeps freezing. I have tried to "zap the PRAM" as iv heard it being called by using the command,option, p+r keys but still no luck.

Someone from another forum has suggested i re-install OS (version 10.3.7) onto my computer. What do you guys think? If i do this, will i lose everything on my computer?

mac-forums seem to have the smartest mac users in the universe so i thought id ask you guys first!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
If you have the install disks that came with it, run Apple Hardware Test and see what that reports. If you do not have that, download from here, which will be a .dmg file. Drag that to the left hand column of Disk Utility and burbn to a CD and this should then be bootable.

http://search.info.apple.com/?as_epq=apple+hardware+test&btnG=Search

If all is well boot from theinstall disc, and go to Utilities and run Repair Disk from there as you cannot repair a disk the machine is booted from.

If you do a clean install yes you will lose everything so if the worst comes to the worst, be prepared.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.